#81 Rowanwolf

Rowanwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's currently all wishful thinking.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Here's my first try playing. It stopped on 'doorway' first...hope that's okay.

DOOR:

Through the winding hallways of the stronghold she padded, finally climbing narrow steps to the small chamber perched in the highest tower for the second time that day. Previously, she had brought up the supplies Father would need for the ritual to come. The girl paused in the doorway, reluctant to enter. She wasn’t afraid of what was to come, but the burden of duty weighed her down. A stone altar dominated the center of the room. She gave the blood-rimmed manacles dangling from it no thought; he had never used them on her.

#82 Dan

Dan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've written articles on travel and the arts for a British newspaper. I'm also a graduate of Long Ridge Writers.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Oh, that's good. I pity the date the girl takes home meet Father.

Door:

Mead said, “They’ll come for you, Erik. And they won't stop trying to take over Stonebrook.”

“Yes,” replied Erik. He cut the engine for a second time, tied up the Dippy. “I’ll keep them at bay.” He held his hand out to assist the man he loved, the man who gave him the gift of a complete mind, at least while they were inside.

As Erik unlocked the thick door and they stepped inside, John Mead said, “Here’s what we need to do . . .”

#83 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Any version of 'door' is fine.

She gave the blood-rimmed manacles dangling from it no thought; he had never used them on her.

Eeee. Talk about creating a mood. The last sentence is killer.

Dan, funny about bringing a date home. Yikes!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#84 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

From the WIP:

DOOR

I threw the lock on the washroom door and started the task of patching myself up. Even with a relatively quick match, I never got away clean. A gash on my upper arm bled freely, thanks to snagging myself on the cage wire. I disinfected and slapped a smart-plaster on it. It would probably still leave a scar. It wouldn’t be the first.
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#85 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

From PEN PALS

DOOR

Carlos is my best friend. He moved next door to me when I was six and he was five. We met when he lived here not even a week. His dad had thrown him a ball and Carlos hit it so hard that it went over our fence and in to my parents’ bedroom window. After that, I thought Carlos and his dad were amazingly cool.
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#86 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Pub intern. EXTRACTION, the first book in my YA sci-fi trilogy, will be out July 22, 2014 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

DOOR

On a few of the shack doorsteps we're passing, little kids stare at us. They are the newbies, age three and under, too young to understand why the sky burns every night.

EXTRACTION_FINAL_COVER.jpg

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

#87 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

OK new word, COOKIE (or any other dessert if you don't have cookies in your MS). I chose cookie cause I am eating one right now!

COOKIE from PEN PALS

Ms. Corn takes us to the gym for an assembly. Our class sits behind Mr. Banks class in the bleachers. Just my luck, Maggie and her friends are right in front of me.

A man is talking about our fundraiser. We have to sell cookie dough. While he's talking, Maggie and Amanda keep looking at me. They’re whispering about something. When I look at them, they start giggling. I have no idea what that’s about, but Johnny is sitting next to me and we find it really annoying. We want to hear about the cool prizes we can win but the girls won’t leave us alone.
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#88 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I have a BROWNIE in mine.

Justin runs a piece of stale bread under his nose. I pick up the gooey brownie I was given and the faint whiff of chocolate I get off it just about makes me drool. But I don’t because ghosts don’t drool.

~

And because it is Valentine's Day and these are kid books, KISSes are always hilarious. Have any xo?:

Justin breaks in, “Emily have you ever kissed another girl?”

She makes a gross face and shakes her head. “No.”

Justin stands over her. “Well, it’s like that. It was like he was kissing me, but he was in my body. It was really disgusting. And cold.”

Justin shoots me a nasty look and moves to the other side of the row. Pretty much as far away from me as possible.

“I’m sorry, Justin,” I call after him. “I didn’t mean to! It was an accident.”

He looks forward like he can’t hear me.

“Ew. You ghost kissed him?” Emily says, giving me a strange look.

“No!”

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#89 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Pub intern. EXTRACTION, the first book in my YA sci-fi trilogy, will be out July 22, 2014 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

-deleted-

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

#90 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Love the new word, Jean, and I love the awesome responses so far for all the words I missed.

KISSED:

“Why? Am I too young to hold hands?”

“What do you think?”

I hated that question. The fire reached my ears. “I, uh, never thought about it so much.”

Then Mom dropped the bomb. “What about kissing?”

“Yuck.” My nose wrinkled at the thought. All of a sudden, boys seemed like the last good thing on Earth. “Major yuck.”

“Good answer. You can sit on the front porch.”

I grabbed two cans of soda on my way out the door.

“No dice on the walk.” I half expected Brett to leave at the news.

Instead, he sat on the swing and patted the empty half. “You’re mom’s a little over-protective, huh?”

“A lot.” Then I thought about the kissing thing and I didn’t mind at all.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#91 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

OK it's a day late, but here is mine.

KISS:

Tony and Metal Mouth sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love,
Second comes marriage,
Third they visit a dentist because they got stuck together!

It doesn’t make sense to me. If I was going to kiss her, which I wouldn’t, I wouldn’t kiss her with her mouth open. Yuck!

#92 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Stephanie, I like the break in your story's action. (I'm curious what's going on.)

Cat, so awkward! Conversations like that with the parents. Ugh. I couldn't tell from the snippet if she thought that boys were the last good thing on earth in a good way or bad way. (That's thte problem with out of context. And of course, not being caffeinated yet.)

Angela, that's hilarious. So real, too!

#93 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm switching manuscripts on you, as ABI is officially done. And since I had surgery on my jaw yesterday and it hurts like a bad case of getting run over by a Mac truck, I need a distraction.

TRUCK from THE MIXED-UP MANUSCRIPTS OF MARTIN NIGGLE

Celia sat in the wet grass under a tree. The hover truck sprayed white foam over the flames. Ash clogged the damp air. A white fleck twitched in the hamster cage. Another miniature rabbit.

She held back a scream. The world had turned all sorts of crazy in one day. She pushed her fingers into her temples and closed her eyes. This is all a bad dream. This is all a bad dream. But she knew it wasn’t because even bad dreams were make-believe and Celia had never had a nightmare in her life.

Cat Woods

#94 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

TRUCK from EXTRACTION:

Buildings rise around us, some brick and mortar, others metal and glass, all of them five to twelve stories high. There is the back door of the hospital, where new children are piled into truck beds for transport to the slums. There is the sidewalk corner where Logan and I first saw a kid die from a whipping. There is the spot on the gravel road where Laila broke down after the names were called for Extraction and hers wasn't picked.

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

#95 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Powerful, my dear. Love it.

Cat Woods

#96 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

I don't have "truck" but I have ROLLERCOASTER (sorta works?):

I’ll soar around and it will be just like a rollercoaster, only without the ‘I’m going to puke’ moments.

#97 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

WIND (since the wind is threatening to destroy stuff out there):

Emily coasts up beside me, half out of breath. “Did they lose someone again?”

I turn to her. “What? They lost someone?”

“A few years ago, they forgot to put up the catching screen and they lost a ghost.”

“Serious?” I ask.

Justin nods. He leans towards us and whispers, “They never found him. The wind swept him away.” He makes a whooshing sound and sweeps his arm through the air.

#98 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Love it, Jean. I can only imagine where this comes into play!

Cat Woods

#99 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

WIND: my MC is hiding behind a dumpster and overhears this conversation.

The pressure in my stomach built to the size of a small elephant. Boy of my dreams, meet girl of my nightmares.

“I told you before, I really, really, really don’t know.”

I looked under the Dumpster at two pairs of feet. One pair wore perfect white tennies with small green megaphones on them. As I watched, they stepped in front of a pair of ratty old sneakers. I imagined Pamela’s lips mere inches from Brett’s.

“Puhleassse.” I could tell by Pamela’s voice that her bottom lip pouted out. Her eyelids probably fluttered like a bird in a windstorm. She flirted so often I didn’t have to look to know how she leaned forward and put her hand on Brett’s arm.

Cat Woods

#100 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Love it, Jean. I can only imagine where this comes into play!

Yeah, it sort of came out in today's writing session. Now I've got to weave it in a few chapters before that and somehow tie it in with what's happening. Love it when my muse comes up with something tasty. Just not so much when I'm not sure how it is all supposed to tie in!

I love your piece above. Boy of my dreams meet girl of my nightmare. Tee hee. And her picturing it all. It's torture! Poor gal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users