Disclaimer

Photo

Linked Books - How To Say That In A Query?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

One of the advantages to digital books is that, what would normally be a simple index, can become an interactive link in an e-book.

I am currently shopping around - because, of course, everything is about me - a MG Science-Fantasy that is so chalked full of real quantum physics and micro biology that I invision the finished product to be indexed on paper and linked in the digital version. I don't include that in my query, or when partials or fulls are requested, because I know anything so new is a tough sell, but I'm afraid that all the techo-babble by two 12-year-old characters might go over the heads of agents and editors. (I have no doubt that kids will get it, since quantum theories are the new dinosaurs). Of course, it's sci-fan, so it doesn't matter so much if the reader understands the science, so long as they believe it's real.

But I digress.

My question is two fold. 1) Is there talk of 3D digial books - by that I mean novels that are linked, creating their own multi-dimensional stories, and 2) could this possibly become sponsored? For example: I know it would be possible for the Discovery Channel to pay for traffic sent their way via the links in my book. Could we see ebooks start to look like NASCAR driver suits?

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#2 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:03 AM

One of the advantages to digital books is that, what would normally be a simple index, can become an interactive link in an e-book.

I am currently shopping around - because, of course, everything is about me - a MG Science-Fantasy that is so chalked full of real quantum physics and micro biology that I invision the finished product to be indexed on paper and linked in the digital version. I don't include that in my query, or when partials or fulls are requested, because I know anything so new is a tough sell, but I'm afraid that all the techo-babble by two 12-year-old characters might go over the heads of agents and editors. (I have no doubt that kids will get it, since quantum theories are the new dinosaurs). Of course, it's sci-fan, so it doesn't matter so much if the reader understands the science, so long as they believe it's real.

But I digress.

My question is two fold. 1) Is there talk of 3D digial books - by that I mean novels that are linked, creating their own multi-dimensional stories, and 2) could this possibly become sponsored? For example: I know it would be possible for the Discovery Channel to pay for traffic sent their way via the links in my book. Could we see ebooks start to look like NASCAR driver suits?

My guess it that it will be very possible to link within books, and soon. I haven't read any heavily linked children's books yet, but that doesn't mean someone's not developing a platform for that. The issue would be: do the existing formats support it? I've read adult books with links to different page numbers but...is this framework robust enough to support heavy linking with other text, or linking to outside the book? If you want to leverage your content for advertising, would the Kindle, for example, be able to send people to the Discovery Channel website...without a browser? Lots of software issues in your way right now. And any kind of sponsorship would have to be approached after you can prove with hard numbers that you have the sales volume to really drive traffic. But all of these things are possible, so work in that direction, even if there aren't many examples of it going on now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users