#1 Drew Sisters

Drew Sisters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

I mentioned that a portion of our tween book is on Figment.com, a literary site for teen readers/writers. It is currently the most popular chapter book on the site which we are obviously excited about. We have kids on there daily asking/begging us to post more chapters...again very good. But I am reluctant. I would obviously love to see this book in print, so if I post all the chapters, why would anyone want to buy the book, right? I just wish I had an agent that could tell us what to do!! If anyone has suggestions, would love to hear them. :smile:

#2 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

so if I post all the chapters, why would anyone want to buy the book, right?

I think you already know the answer. Posting a WIP online has it's allure since you can get immediate attention and feedback (which can become great motivation), but it's not productive when you're looking for a professional publishing contract.

Edit: Sorry, just realized this was in the Agent QA forum.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#3 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

If you get to a point of critical mass, you can make succeeding chapters available via subscription at .99 a chapter - getting mommy or daddy involved in the PAYPAL process!
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#4 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

I've discussed this at length here:

http://kidlit.com/20...writing-online/

If you want to sell the writing, as someone above suggested, then you can post and put up a paywall to charge for the rest or for installments. However, then that's how your book will be "published." You will not have much luck interesting a traditional publisher in that same manuscript unless it sells like HOTCAKES (hundreds of thousands of copies). Your best bet, if you want to go this route, is to sell a lot of that manuscript and then shop around a new manuscript. But if you have traditional publishing hopes for the manuscript at hand, I'd stop posting it online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users