#1 RileyRedgate

RileyRedgate

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, SEVEN WAYS WE LIE, was released in March 2016 by Abrams and optioned for film by Jane Startz Productions. My sophomore novel, NOTEWORTHY, hits shelves May 2017.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

Thank you so much for doing this, Ms. Kole!

My question is a bit strange. Hmm... where to start?

All right, well, an example. I'm writing a YA war romance novel at the moment. There are a few things that might make it a so-called 'tough sell' - it's:

1) Violent enough to dissuade the weak of heart/stomach
2) Mushy enough to make the cynical partake in some eye-rolling
and 3) Split-perspective - half the guy's POV and half the girl's.

These are all qualities that are necessary for the story, but they're worrisome. I'm wondering if the project is doomed to flop before it's even grown wings, so the question at its heart is this:

When reading queries, do agents take into consideration a novel's marketability from the get-go? If they have the 'I'm-in-love' moment with a story that seems difficult to market, will they still pursue the story with reckless abandon, or will they hold back? Or would they suggest edits to improve marketability?

Thanks again!

author of SEVEN WAYS WE LIE and NOTEWORTHY

rep: Caryn Wiseman, Andrea Brown Literary Agency

i tweet!

#2 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Of course I think about marketability, I have to, but what you're describing doesn't seem like an automatic "no" at all (I'm wondering where you're getting your doubt from). Split POV is very common, a lot of the best books out there are violet (hello, Hunger Games), and mushy romance makes the TWILIGHT world go 'round. Of course, I can't tell you whether to keep writing or kill a project sight unseen...but you should definitely finish it, at least. You may be feeling a bit insecure, which is normal, but there are no red flags for me in what you've described at all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users