#1 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hello Mary!

Thanks for being here, and for maintaining such an excellent and informative blog. Kidlit is a must-hit for me in my blog rounds.

My question is about social networking as marketing for the unpublished. I'm agented, and recently started my own blog, with some success - owing much to AQC's featuring my blog in the April newsletter. I've got rotating interviews set up with successful YA authors and the BBCHAT for agents - Bigblackcat's Humane Agent Talk - a quick and easy 5 question chat with agents in which I absolutely do not ask them about queries. (I'd love to have you as a guest sometime, if you're willing!)

You do a great job at Kidlit with fresh, diverse posts that maintain your momentum. How do you advise an unpublished author keep things fresh and keep bringing in new followers?

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#2 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

It's a CONSTANT struggle for me to keep the blogs going (I have three now: http://www.kidlit.com, http://www.kidlitapps.com, and the new http://www.chowlit.com, about my passion for food books and my developing career offshoot in the food world). That means I'm blogging five days a week. I can't tell you how many mornings (this morning would be one of them) that I wake up and DON'T. WANT. TO. BLOG. Running out of ideas is a constant fear. That said, I always manage to find ideas! Publishing is an interesting and, especially now, ever-changing industry, and I have enough outside interests to keep things fresh.

When in doubt, POLL YOUR READERS FOR QUESTIONS. Those are instant blog topics right there, and sometimes readers will challenge you to think differently or intensely about issues, which is always fun for me.

In terms of gathering followers, I've gotten them from appearing on other blogs (sure, I will do your BBCHAT, email me) and I always Tweet my new posts to my followers, which brings a stream of readers in every day, who then, ideally, will Tweet and email my articles to their friends, etc.

The best possible thing, though, is to write a damn good blog. Even when I'm feeling overwhelmed and don't want to blog, I keep that goal high on my list because the blogs have paid off so much. I've met wonderful new people, gotten invited to speak and travel, and I love writing them, at the end of the day, no matter how much I grumble. So I force myself to do a good job. My readers make the experience worth it. And when you have a damn good blog, people will find it, the search engines will rank you high and make you easier to discover (I'm the #1 search result for kidlit, unsurprisingly, but it took me about six months to get there, even with the kidlit.com domain name), and you'll build up a readership of people who come but who also come BACK.

Do it and then, even if your words seem to be going out there into the world and having no effect, especially when you're getting started, keep doing it, because it will start to matter. I've been blogging since 2009 and am (almost) always on schedule because dependability and good content are key.

#3 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Mary, for such an excellent and thorough answer. And double thanks for agreeing to the BBCHAT - I'll get an email out to you straightaway!

Great idea about asking my followers for what they want... I had a similar experience last night when a Twitter (and blog) follower asked a question about sex in YA and I tweeted back that I'd do a blog post about it, since Twitter wouldn't allow for the size of my er... sex post. Posted Image

Thanks again, I'll be in touch!

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users