#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

If you're thinking about e-pubbing your own books, you should make sure that you not only register the domain name of your author name (pen name or otherwise), but you should also register the domain name of your book's title, especially if it's an unusual and highly memorable one (and it should be).

That said, the process of registering a domain name is often a stumbling block for writers because it's coupled with questions about hosting, setting up your own website, FTP access, email set-up, etc.

In order to help alleviate this confusion, here's our basic AQ Step-by-Step, Low-Cost Guide for registering a domain name (and it also addresses the issues of whether or not you need to pay for additional services like hosting or email set-up at the same time you register your domain name):

Step 1:
First and Foremost -- Register the domain name

It's all about registering the domain name with a registrar service like GoDaddy or Network Solutions or Yahoo. It doesn't really matter which registrar you use, just don't pay too much.

Once you register the domain and maintain the domain registration account, you will then have the power to do all sorts of cool things with your domain name in the future. For example, you will be able to change the settings in your domain account account to "point" it to your website (regardless of who or where you ultimately host your website).

An example: If we wanted to, we could re-direct all our agentquery.com traffic to Donald Trump's website, simply by logging into our domain registration account and "pointing" the agentquery.com domain to The Donald's website address. Yes, it's that easy.

And we can do this because we control the domain registration and the domain registration account.

How to save money on domain registration: If you use GoDaddy.com (or any other registrar), always search for "go daddy coupons" on Google before registering.

And register the domain name only (plus private registration if you want that). Everything else (email, FTP access, storage, hosting, etc.) is through your hosting provider. Otherwise, you will be paying for services that you may never use if you select them at the time of your domain registration.

Step 2:
Pick a hosting company -- this assumes that you are going to host your own website and you know something about FTP

Regarding hosting companies, we've researched and used quite a few, and the best one in our opinion is Blue Host. Again, if you Google "coupons bluehost" or "discount hosting offer bluehost" etc. you can actually find a referral link that discounts the monthly cost by 50% for new customers, so it should only be about $3.00 per month for the first year.

We would encourage you all to NOT settle on a hosting company, and then register the domain through them. It's always better to control your domain name, so you can switch away from them if you need to do so... without going through the headache of a domain transfer -- if you end up hating the hosting company.

In the world of hosting, you get what you pay for... and you will quickly find with cheaper providers that their support is non-existent, or that they block you from receiving email with certain "older" domains like scbglobal.net or hotmail.com or various other annoying sub-par, sub-service things.

Step 3:
If you know NOTHING about how to set-up your own website from scratch or templates (including HTML, CSS, or FTP)

BUT

you know SOMETHING about graphic design or Photoshop (or know a friend, brother, relative, dog who does)

Go to Wordpress, pick a very clean layout template, then create a nice banner that will make it look professional and "brand" it as your own.

Since you have already registered your domain name, you can go into your GoDaddy account and simply "point" your domain name to your wordpress site, and you will no longer have YouAreHere.wordpress.com. Instead, it will simply be YouAreHere.com. Wordpress charges $15 a year for this domain mask, but that's a tiny price for getting going on your own.

Step 4:
If you know something about HTML and FTP and a bit of CSS

Google "free CSS templates." They rock.

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for this!! I didn't think to register the title of my book. Will have to do that. : ) Although after that elephant hunting incident, I won't be using Go Daddy.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

Bookmarking this. Thanks AQCrew. Good advice, as always.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#4 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for this!! I didn't think to register the title of my book. Will have to do that. : ) Although after that elephant hunting incident, I won't be using Go Daddy.

I didn't know about the book title thing either, but it makes sense.

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#5 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

Great advice Crew. Interestingly I am going through this process right now and am thrilled to the teeth to have gotten both dot com and dot ca. Why two? Because as a Canuck, there are folks who are going to look for me under the dot ca domain and I wanted both to link up. My web designer recommended I keep my domain name simple and my site as easy to find as possible using my writing name. Being able to get both was a piece of luck actually, as in the past few months someone with the same name as me has shown up on google touting Internet sales. She is not me, but there was certainly the potential for losing both domains if I didn't act fast.
My recommendation is, if you can, register the name you want, even if you aren't going to be setting up your site right away. It's not that costly and worth it if the best domain is still available.
So far BlueHost has been fast and efficient.

#6 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Great advice Crew. Interestingly I am going through this process right now and am thrilled to the teeth to have gotten both dot com and dot ca. Why two? Because as a Canuck, there are folks who are going to look for me under the dot ca domain and I wanted both to link up. My web designer recommended I keep my domain name simple and my site as easy to find as possible using my writing name. Being able to get both was a piece of luck actually, as in the past few months someone with the same name as me has shown up on google touting Internet sales. She is not me, but there was certainly the potential for losing both domains if I didn't act fast.
My recommendation is, if you can, register the name you want, even if you aren't going to be setting up your site right away. It's not that costly and worth it if the best domain is still available.
So far BlueHost has been fast and efficient.

I registered this name in .com and .ca too. I was thinking the same thing you were. :D

#7 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

Gee if you're not careful, you can leave Godaddy with a raaather large tab!Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#8 Erik Martin

Erik Martin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Thus far I have only had a few short items published. One was in Frontier Tales #12, online magazine, and another in 'A Year in Ink IV' a print anthology. I have also published 4 short stories on Smashwords and Kindle (two of which were the above published stories).

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

Good post. This is something I will be doing soon and know nothing about.

#9 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

If you use someone else to buy your domain--i.e. some dude who builds websites, ensure they register the domain in YOUR name and not theirs. Because if they do it in their name, guess what? THEY own your domain--not you.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#10 Qwijebo

Qwijebo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Successful screenwriter, self published author, editor

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Stay away from Yahoo domains.

#11 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

This advice is golden. I would add, I've heard bad things about GoDaddy. Contrary to what Qwijebo said, I've been using Yahoo Domains since 2009 and they've been great. Yahoo domains recently changed to Aabaco small business which still seems good.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users