#1 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

OK seriously, Twitter is quite addicting. I hit up a #yalitchat last night and got about 10 followers out of the deal, at the same time, I lost my corporate backing. Tee hee. Victoria's Secret has stopped following me - seriously? Am I not sexy enough? Geez. A yarn store stopped following me too, which makes me think the two are conspiring against me.... or maybe not.

Anyway, it got me curious about tracking "Un" followers. There are services out there that can tell you who you lost, and when. So that's kind of interesting, if you can get a feel for what you're saying that is making people tune out.

Anyone have any recommendations on that count? Or am I being way to anal about this?

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

I heard there is a program you can load that lets you know who un-followed you, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I don't care who un-follows me. I find, a lot of ppl follow you thinking you'll return the favour, and when you don't...

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 Justin Holley

Justin Holley

Veteran Member of the AQC Posse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:You can find my short fiction published within the pages of the magazines: Tales From the Moonlit Path, SNM Horror, Trei Literary, Writer’s Together, and The Odd Mind, as well as, the anthologies: Atrum Tempestas and Zombie Chronicles. Two of my short stories have also been optioned for script work--the first production to take place on November, 12th 2010 (exciting!).

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

I like Twitter too, but I refuse to watch who dropped me and why--just too much tech stuff or me. But it seems my follows go in spurts, like last week I had 30 people follow me, now this week I've only had a couple. I have no idea why it would fluctuate so wildly.
www.justinholley-author.com

#4 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

I wouldn't let it bother you. People follow with the hopes you'll follow back, and if you don't (or even if you do!) they then drop you. Some will follow and by the time you click on them to follow them back or check them out, they've already unfollowed. lol. I don't even keep track of my numbers any more. I figure unless they're leaving in droves, I'm ok. lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

My approach is a lot like Cali's. I had a surge of followers when WriteAngleBlog launched last week, and a few more this week, but I've not even looked at my actual numbers since Saturday. I've never made a serious effort to try to gain followers. I have a couple hundred and it's been relatively stable for about a year (swinging between 185 to 210 when I think to look). I'd love to get more followers on my blog too, but there's a very clear connection between posting regularly and gaining followers. I've started lots of posts that I didn't make live, but that -- for some strange reason -- doesn't seem to attract people.

#6 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Good feedback, thanks guys. I think I'm just smarting from that Victoria's Secret Unfollow. Oh! Burn!!

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

#7 Angie Sandro

Angie Sandro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:DARK CONFESSIONS (Dark Paradise novella, #4.5) releases 02/09/16, from Grand Central/Forever Yours.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

I finally caved and opened a twitter account last night (@AngieSandro I'd love to be a follower and be followed, although I kind of scared about the places I'll go.

Anyway, I know as writers we need to social network, but I really nervous about the whole posting part. I'm pretty reserved and posting my first twit (is that the right word) took three tries to get it right and almost gave me a panic attack.

Now, I'm finding out that if I'm too boring I can be unfollowed. Blerg.

Angie Sandro

Find me:

Facebook / Blog / Twitter / Amazon / Goodreads

615IvQY4rQL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 51RDU1vkC1L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 512cVEX5ffL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 61SWQHcL97L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 28673721.jpg

#8 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

Oh Angie - fear not - we've got just the right thing for you:

This week we will be Twittercentric - we know there's a lot of interest in Twitter, but some fear as well. "What do I say? How do I set it up? What's a hashtag? That sounds illegal?"

The mods and other Twitter veteran members will be onhand in the chat room to answer basic Twitter questions, help you set up your account in real time, explain hashtags, and there might be a follow in it for you if your'e clever :)

@MindyMcGinnis

#9 M_Simkins

M_Simkins

Successfully avoiding housework since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

You know, Twitter is the strangest place. I tweet any fool thing that comes in to my head and I'm always surprised at the stuff that gets me followers. Not that I have an excessive number.

But I don't worry about being unfollowed. Unless I lost a big chunk of followers. I just try to play by a few simple rules: be nice, share the love, engage with other Twitterers (tweeters?). In other words, I try to be myself, but nicer. :wink:

#10 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

engage with other Twitterers (tweeters?).

twits? :tongue:

#11 M_Simkins

M_Simkins

Successfully avoiding housework since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

twits? :tongue:

*gigglesnort*

#12 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

I just try to play by a few simple rules: be nice, share the love, engage with other Twitterers (tweeters?). In other words, I try to be myself, but nicer. :wink:

I think that's the key right there. I hang out in several hashtags and I tend to reply to ppl who have questions or just stay something. Not those who are promoting themselves.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#13 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

I'm just myself on Twitter and I try to be at least funny and entertaining. If people unfollow me then that's their business. Personally I would rather think as little as possible about who is unfollowing me and why and just focus on my brand and my writing. Obsessing over that sort of shit always makes one feel terrible. There's really no point to it. There are always more random strangers out there who will randomly follow you in the vast interconnected ecosystem of Twitter.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users