#1 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

I've not yet plunked down any coins on an ereader, not because I'm a luddite but because I have a couple hungry little anklebiters who would prefer that I use those coins for interestingly shaped pasta and a steady stream of milk. Plus I have a few thousand printed books I've not cracked open yet.

But I'm very curious about where the industry is going and how quickly it'll get there. So you may find a few questions from me... Anyway,

Do you think the wave of ebooks is going to be new, original, hot-off-the-digits works of literary genius or will we instead see publishers pushing Moby Dick, Frankenstein, and Pippy Longstockings before the fresh new stuff gets a chance? Or will it be a blend of both?

#2 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

A lot of publishers and authors are publishing backlist digitally (whether through a publisher or independently), and, of course, everyone is whipping out the ol' public domain classics. Several big authors, like Barry Eisler, however, have broken away from their publishers and will start publishing their frontlist (titles not previously published, new releases, not available elsewhere) digitally and independently. That's what Amanda Hocking was doing (now she's sold a new series to a traditional publisher). So the more we live with digital books, the more brand new books will be available that way, not just oldies.

To follow more ebook and digital publishing developments, check out my new blog, http://www.kidlitapps.com!

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users