#1 sweetlemon

sweetlemon

Surprisingly Sweet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Book one in my first YA series will be released in early 2012.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

Hi Ms. Kole! I was just wondering what type of stories literary agents are keeping an eye out for this year? I've written a suspenseful page turner, but my story doesn't exactly follow the current YA trends (no vampires or paranormal romance!) I know I've written an entertaining story. I'm just afraid that not many agents will give my novel a closer look. What advice do you have for new YA authors trying to get noticed in a 'vampire-driven' world? Thanks :)
www.jacquelinegardner.com
www.labragirlpictures.com

#2 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

Oh, Sweetlemon. This is why it doesn't pay to focus on trends. You think paranormal romance and vampires are still in? Since paranormal romance and vampire were hot to publishers and agents, we've gone through the following cycles:

- Zombies
- Fallen angels/demons
- Mermaids
- Dystopian

Did you miss it? We didn't. We're now getting sick of dystopian on our end, because publishing has a two-year lead time. Those books that are just coming out now have been two years (or more) in the making, so the average layperson is truly out of touch with trends happening on the inside. However, that's actually a good thing. You might be a little more in the know and so you've heard that dystopian is hot, but if I see one more generic dystopian, I might cry. We're already over it. So don't try to write to trends...by the time you hear about them, whether on the inside or outside, they're over.

What's really selling now? Some dystopian, sure, but it has to be unique. Thrillers and mysteries and darker YA. Something with a lot of twists and turns in the plot, a lot of good reveals. And contemporary realistic fiction is coming back into vogue after the paranormal glut. Those are the trends. But the best thing you can do is to write the story you're writing and make it an incredible book. Trends come and go but amazing books stand the test of time, and that's what I'm looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users