Disclaimer

Photo

Should you include MC's race in a query?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maryj59

maryj59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Presently seeking an agent and a publisher for my book.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi - you already answered a ton of my questions, and I didn't think I had any more! But - I do! My book is rather different; it's quiet and character-driven, and therefore I've been struggling to summarize it. But I finally came up with what seems to me to be a strong query that represents the book well. And reading queryshark gave me a tip about how to query a book with multiple main characters. But I still am wondering: I've read repeatedly that there is a crying need for SF and Fantasy starring teens of color. My MCs are not white. Would I increase my chances for representation and eventual publication if I emphasized this? (*I am not sure, because they are also "aliens" - they are essentially human, but grew up on a different planet in a different culture. So I wouldn't assume that teens of color would automatically identify with them, just because they aren't white.)

Thanks!

#2 Angie Sandro

Angie Sandro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:DARK CONFESSIONS (Dark Paradise novella, #4.5) releases 02/09/16, from Grand Central/Forever Yours.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for posting this topic Maryj, I'm also interested in the answer to this question. My main character is African-American, but this is not the focus of the manuscript. I wanted a character that reflected my family and life experience because culturally this is what I know. However, I love a good romance and scary ghost story. I'm also curious how much of a factor, if any, that race plays in eventual publication and marketability in YA.

Thank you for being so gracious with your time, Ms Kole.

Angie Sandro

Find me:

Facebook / Blog / Twitter / Amazon / Goodreads

615IvQY4rQL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 51RDU1vkC1L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 512cVEX5ffL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 61SWQHcL97L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 28673721.jpg

#3 Erik Martin

Erik Martin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Thus far I have only had a few short items published. One was in Frontier Tales #12, online magazine, and another in 'A Year in Ink IV' a print anthology. I have also published 4 short stories on Smashwords and Kindle (two of which were the above published stories).

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

I'd mention it if A: The character's race is integral to the story and you can't not mention it and still tell what the story is about, or B: You know that the particular agent is looking for stories about characters of said race.

#4 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

I would for sure mention any cultural and character details like this. I am looking for more multicultural, LGBT, differently abled characters! A query that's not the usual white MC will definitely catch my attention. That said, the character's race or other identity circumstance can't be the only thing about the story. That's not a story, that's a situation. It needs to also have a plot. Gone are the days when "I'm gay and I'm coming out" or "I'm black and there's tension in my town" can be the whole plot of a book. That is a great layer to have, but not the end all and be all.

#5 Angie Sandro

Angie Sandro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:DARK CONFESSIONS (Dark Paradise novella, #4.5) releases 02/09/16, from Grand Central/Forever Yours.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

Ms. Kole,

Thank you so much for answering this question, it's especially helpful information to have given I'm currently in the query process. It has been a fantastic opportunity for us at AQC to get insight into your amazing world.

Angie Sandro

Find me:

Facebook / Blog / Twitter / Amazon / Goodreads

615IvQY4rQL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 51RDU1vkC1L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 512cVEX5ffL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 61SWQHcL97L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 28673721.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users