#1 bigdonf

bigdonf

soon to be published!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:my first novel is due to be released at the end of october.
    It is being published by Greyhart Press.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hi Ms. Kole, as a newbie my question may seem to have an obvious answer but here goes.
From all that I have heard, to have the best chance of having an agent represent you, the writer's work need to be as polished and professional as possible. I understand that, my question is this.... As an agent would you or have you ever had occasion to overlook the mistakes and errors found in a project from a new writer and concentrate on the story concept. I mean all the techniques needed to produce a polished novel can be and will be learned in time especially with help from editors and the like. But perfect form means nothing if your writer has no aptitude for story concept and creativity. If you see an obviously strong story but with weak technique, would you be willing to work with that author? Or would any agent do this? Your thoughts please. Thank you. Don

#2 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Do both. Something has to be sparkling before I will show it to an editor. If a writer has grasped the creative end but not the mechanics of turning out a polished manuscript, I ask...why not? All aspects have to be strong for me to take something on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users