Illustration Junky/Part-time Sweetheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

Hi Ms. Kole,

Thank you so much for being here and answering all these questions. I was wondering if Chapter Books and Early Readers are a hard sell for agents, because I see very few agents that specify that they represent these types of books and I try hard to only query people who may be interested. Most will only specify YA, MG and/or Picture Books. Do I assume if they represent picture books that they also do chapter books and early readers or would it be best to try and submit directly to the publishers instead. Also, would it make sense to try and sell the chapter book or early reader as a series since this is how I see most of them in the bookstores. ie Junie B. Jones etc. Thank you for your time and advice.

Sincerely,

Charlie Eve

#2 Mary Kole

Mary Kole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Literary agent at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Has worked for Kimberly Cameron and Associates, Chronicle Books, and Google.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

They're a hard sell but they're just as hard when you submit directly to publishers. Most agents don't rep them BECAUSE most publishers won't buy them, not because we're just being stubborn. Debuts are really hard and there's a catch-22 going on. Publishers want to pub an early reader or chapter book series, because the spines are thin and everything else on those shelves is a big series that grabs attention, but they don't want to risk signing up a series from a debut. There are still agents, myself included, that navigate this landscape. I would say it's much easier to debut with a MG or YA or even a picture book, then write early readers or chapter books.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users