#1 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

The door is open. We speak nonfiction here. You can certainly talk about fiction from time to time too. I know I can't help but do it.

But I envision a wide array of topics and discussions: Query critiques, marketing, proposal writing, building platform, building audience, developing a Web site (an important part of building your platform), and many others.

On the old site, we rarely got into discussions about what's commonly called narrative nonfiction but I'd like to see that emerge; it's important.

But if nothing else: welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Anyone else care to say hello?

#2 nancy

nancy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Former award-winning newspaper reporter/columnist and accredited PR counselor...all print medium; copy editor/ writer Military Writers monthly 50-pg. magazine; co-founder, AQ Connect Nonfiction Forum; published as freelancer; allrecipes personal blog, more.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, lots, Matt for head-honchoing (sp) move of Nonfiction Forum. Seems like ions ago since founding this forum! Will check out our pretty new format. And checking if "insert image" allows us to post pix.

#3 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,259 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hey, Matt! Thanks for running the group.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

You're both too kind. Looking forward to seeing this group develop further

#5 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hi Matt, you also have my thanks for running this group.
I write both fiction and non -fiction and am looking forward to learning/contributing here.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

Welcome back, Dr. Anne. BTW, did any of you have any trouble joining the group? I didn't set up a password; I believe it's unnecessary to make this group password protected.

(Cali, if you know of any reason I should make this password protected, please PM me.)

I'd like to encourage participation in this group rather than potentially limit it. I'm of the opinion that, regardless of whether we consider ourselves fiction writers or not, nonfiction is an area each of us will likely touch upon in order to make a little cash, build our platforms (for fiction, nonfiction, or whatever), and learn better how to market ourselves. And having been part of the AQ community for well over two years now, I know that there are lots of fiction writers who can add a couple cents worth of wisdom to any discussion.

#7 Mrs V

Mrs V

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Technical papers for IBM and Microsoft.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

I skipped the generic welcome thread because I find that once I'm "established" at various forums, I don't go there often enough so here I am.

I'm not sure my non fiction is going to be narrative but it is something that I am contemplating. I won't know until I actually venture out of the outline/chapter section and start to organize the answers I have received.

Prior to my husband's terminal cancer diagnosis, I had not done much writing over the years and none since I had a few technical papers published. A week after he was diagnosed I set up a blog that I used to keep family, friends, co-workers and former co-workers of his updated on the illness. Shortly before he died I started to write poetry and now it's time to exercise my brain and write a book about the most evil of all diseases.

So, here I am and I will start checking in and would love to get some feedback as I move forward. I'm actually an IT professional and used to write code but now I get to play functional business analyst. I'm a horse racing junkie and pedigrees are my specialties (thoroughbred). Prior to my husband's cancer diagnosis I could not tell you much about the disease but now I could talk about it endlessly. That is a subject that I hope nobody ever has to learn about but in our reality it's inevitable.

On the narrative part, if I were going to write a screen play on cancer versus a book that is the direction I would head.

If anyone so desires to read the blog I would be glad to share it but for some I know cancer is a painful subject and since the end is obvious it's hard for some to handle.

~Stacy

#8 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Welcome Mrs. V. (I thought I'd responded to this post, but apparently it evaporated. So, sorry for the delayed response.)

I think you should share the URL of your blog. If nothing else (and I'm sure it's more than this), it's an example of how one builds a platform from which to write a book about this subject.

I will be posting a thread about this in the next few days, but suffice it to say, if you have a blog about a topic you plan to write about, it's imperative that you let people know about it.

#9 Mrs V

Mrs V

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Technical papers for IBM and Microsoft.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

The blog is what we went through after he was diagnosed and then his death 45 days after I started it. He lived 60 days after diagnosis and essentially spent the majority of that time in the hospital. The blog does not really contain a lot of content that I would want to include as most of the information in the book has come from talking to other widows, but it's a good reference for me to draw upon.

The address is lungcancer2010.blogspot.com and of course it's in reverse order but I will try to resort it to make it easier on anyone who finds it. This was the best way to make sure everyone knew what was going on. There just were not enough hours in the day to call everyone with updates so it prevented anyone from feeling left out or out of the loop, even his family who are in England and Australia were able to keep up.

Stacy

#10 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,172 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm Jean. I am working on a nonfiction children's activity book and have an agent (as of last week) helping me on it. I must say, he's already been a Godsend.

That's about it for now.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#11 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Straitjacket Magazine - Spring, 2012; MILITARY LIFE - SERVICE OR CAREER A SOLDIER'S PROSPECTIVE, JMAC Publishing, September 2014 (available at Kindle for ebook and Amazon.com and CreateSpace for print.

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

I have not officially joined the group, but would very much like to be a part of it. I completed my nonfiction book on the military (IF ALL ELSE FAILS, THERE'S ALWAYS CIVILIAN LIFE) a long while ago. I finished my memoir (ZERO TO SIXTY-FIVE [CAUTION: HAIRPIN CURVES AHEAD]), and I am still working on a humor book (HEY, IT WASN'T MY FAULT). I hope I might be able to learn and contribute a bit through time. Now I have to figure out how to join the group.

#12 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Straitjacket Magazine - Spring, 2012; MILITARY LIFE - SERVICE OR CAREER A SOLDIER'S PROSPECTIVE, JMAC Publishing, September 2014 (available at Kindle for ebook and Amazon.com and CreateSpace for print.

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

I never found the way to join the forum, or is it automatic? Am I member and don't know it?

#13 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,172 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

For this forum, you don't have to 'join' as it is open, even though it is in the member-moderated group area where most groups have a password. So, you are in!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#14 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

All are welcome! All are welcome!

I see no reason to create any restrictions on information about what is easily the largest area of publishing.

If we end up needing something more private, that's a different matter. But for the forseeable future, this is an open group forum. And I encourage any and all discussions related to nonfiction. This universe is bigger than you think.

#15 3MagicWords

3MagicWords

3MagicWords

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have had over 20 op-eds printed in local papers as well as TIME magazine.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hello All - just joined AQC today and went right to the non-fiction group. I also did not see any particular way to join so I hope I am in.

I'm a new writer but I have 3 books started, all non-fiction. For the foreseeable future, I will be sticking with that genre.

I posted a question on a generic blog regarding the query process with agents. I did go through that process last year with my first book idea. Left me with the question, whether you get a "no thank you" response or no response at all, how are you to know if the problem lies with your query letter or the idea of your actual book?

#16 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hey, 3M, welcome to the site and this group in particular. I was with the old AQC for a very long time, and I am still trying to get squared away with our new site. I too am, so far, a nonfictioner all the way. I say so far, as I am thinking seriously about beginning a novel one of these days. I too have two completed nonfiction projects and one in the works. I have been doing this whole quest for publishing thing for the last three or four years. You are right about not knowing what agents are looking for. Most of the time you will never know. Recently I have had more no responses than form rejections. Feel good if you get a rejection with explanations. Normally that does not happen. Get used to it. I wish you well with your projects. If you have any questions about the process, feel free to fire away. I have had limited success, but not as far as publication yet. Take care. John

#17 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,172 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

Magic, I mentioned this in the query conversations group, but figured I'd post it here too: It's impossible to know without seeing. A few things about a non-fic query--did you show that there is a MARKET for this UNIQUE book that only YOU can write? Those are three huge elements right there. (That there will be an audience, that this book offers something the others don't, and that you are an authority on the subject and have a platform.) Those are the three things agents look for. If you don't demonstrate those three things, agents are likely to give you a "no."

#18 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

Magic, the Nonfiction group is wide open. I didn't ask to set it up as a closed group, primarily because I want everyone to feel welcome to learn more about the largest area of publishing. So yes, you're in. And welcome!

And thanks, Jean, for addressing comments the past couple days.

#19 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,172 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

And thanks, Jean, for addressing comments the past couple days.

Silly, you don't need to thank me! You know me, I'm always willing to pop my few cents in here and there.

#20 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Hello. By nature I'm a juvenile fiction writer, though most of my published material is nonfic for adults. Go figure... :blush:

Anyway, I have contracted out and written-- as in designed, written, edited, photo illustrated, printed and lined up binding for--family devotionals. I have been kicking around the idea of writing a how-to on the process, as I had a blast doing them and have never seen a more unique gift for those who have it all.

I've also considered writing a book on integrated child care.

Both of these projects have lots of notes devoted to them, yet I've done nothing substantial with them and don't know when/if I will have the time to pursue them.

However, I know full well that short nonfiction is more stable and is almost always necessary to help build a reputation for a book contract. Not to mention it's also fun to write.

So, I guess I'll be joining you all off and on.

Thanks, Matt, for moderating this group. Your input will be invaluable to us all.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users