#21 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

Any time, Cate. Happy to help wherever I can.

#22 JFL

JFL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:In the past I have tried to sell screenplays and I have been unsuccessful.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Matt, I'm a new member and being a little "older" everything on the internet is a challege. You mentioned narrative non-fiction and that is the style that I wrote my first(looking for an agent)work. An editor suggested that I use italics to represent the other person and it worked very well. I posted my unsuccessful query on this site seeking some feedback. Maybe you could look it iver and offer some suggestions. Thank you. JFL.

#23 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

What was its name, JFL?

I peeked at your profile and it says there are five posts, but I can only see three of them and none looks like a query. I recommend posting in the Query area. Post with the manuscript's title and genre (in this case, narrative nonfiction). That way you can get comments from everyone. But I'd be happy to post my thoughts.

#24 portiag

portiag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

I just wanted to say a quick hello. My name is Portia and I am new to the site and to the idea of professionally pursuing writing. I thought I may have made the wrong decision to join as I felt out of place as writer of non-fiction. Especially since my writing tends to deal with controversial topics. But, I decided writers know what I go through, have gone through and will go through regardless of the genre. I'm still feeling my way around to get an idea of how things flow.

#25 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Straitjacket Magazine - Spring, 2012; MILITARY LIFE - SERVICE OR CAREER A SOLDIER'S PROSPECTIVE, JMAC Publishing, September 2014 (available at Kindle for ebook and Amazon.com and CreateSpace for print.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Hello Portia,
I'm John, and I too am a nonfictioner. Although we are in the minority on this site, this is really a good place to be. I have been around the site for a very long time, and I am seldom disappointed with help and comments from the group. If you wish to post a query or anything else you want feedback on, let me know and I would be more than happy to provide whatever I can. I have been trying to find the right agent and/or publisher for nearly four years now, but I have definitely not given up. I will have to die before giving up. Hell, that may just happen also. One never knows. I have written a book on the military, as well as a memoir, and I have a humor book in the works. Let me know if I can help in any way, and that includes the search for publication. Write on! John

#26 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Welcome Portia.

As John said, vocal writers of nonfiction aren't as abundant on this site as are vocal fiction writers (full disclosure: I write fiction, too), but nonfiction is by far the largest area of publishing.

Feel free to start threads, ask or answer questions on current threads, resurrect old topics... Like nonfiction in general, there really are few boundaries.

Behind the scenes, I've been trying to drum up people, but what really gets people to participate is ongoing conversation (i.e., thread traffic). We really like having a dialogue here.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask either in a thread or send me a private message. And in case you were wondering, we don't require people to officially "join" the forum. I want to maintain as few restrictions for nonfiction writers here as possible. That said, everyone can see what you're saying in a public thread. It's fine if you disagree -- even vehemently disagree -- with another writer but the basic etiquette is to do so civilly. You'll find lots of "you need to work on this" comments, but they're always intended to help another writer improve. In my opinion, that's one of the things that makes this site and community so great.

#27 portiag

portiag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Thanks John and mwsinclair for the welcome. My plan is to become more involved as I get my feet under me here. I am currently working on my query and proposal. I look forward to many postings and lots of information. Thanks again.

#28 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some short stories, articles, poems, and book reviews published. No novels yet. I've over 20 years as a technical writer and editor, though.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:32 AM

I've written both fiction and nonfiction. In fiction, right now I'm concentrating on novels, although I've published some short fiction. I've also published a few articles as a freelancer, but most of my nonfiction has been business and technical writing and web content articles (work for hire).

I have some ideas for nonfiction books, but that's an area I'm totally new to, so I wouldn't have any idea how to go about it. Also, I'm not an expert in the areas I want to write in. I'd love to write popular science books, but I've only got a bachelor's in chemistry and I have no science writing credentials. Also, since college I've worked as a writer and editor, not as a scientist. I have no idea how I'd become a science writer, and I'm not even sure if this forum would cover something as specific as that.

#29 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Welcome, Foggy! It sounds like you recognize where your potential platform shortcomings are. If you're already freelancing, you can start building a science platform by writing and submitting articles for publication in print and web publications. But if you're looking to write book-length works on subjects that are highly complex, a lot of agents will be leery of someone who's not an expert. I was wandering a bookstore the other day and noticed a few science-related books and it seemed every author had a Ph.D. after their name.

I'm in the early stages of researching a subject that involves some medical research. My plan is to find a person who is working in the field to partner with. I don't know if that'll work, but I figure it's worth a shot. In my case, I believe it's not crucial because the book would be written for a non-science audience. But we'll see.

#30 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Straitjacket Magazine - Spring, 2012; MILITARY LIFE - SERVICE OR CAREER A SOLDIER'S PROSPECTIVE, JMAC Publishing, September 2014 (available at Kindle for ebook and Amazon.com and CreateSpace for print.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hey, a healthy, hearty, happy hello to you, Foggy Dew (the name really grabbed me),
I too have been dealving into just about every general genre, and have so far been unsuccessful in becoming published. I finished a military nonfiction ms, and I even have the expertise part part of my platform (little else)to go along with it. I am a retired Army infantry officer (airborne, ranger, Vietnam War vet, WIA; all that good stuff), and, needless to say, an excellent writer - :). None of that seemed to be attractive enough to get the needed attention of an agent, or at least not enough to have a contract in hand. I did the same with a memoir. I have been trying for several months to find an agent for that. I have a humor book in progress, and I have now begun my first novel. If you are just beginning to feel the pains of it all, fear not, for it has yet begun to hurt. Persistence is always the key. There are many here who are in a very similar boat, and you will not only receive plenty of sympathy and empathy, but a good deal of great advice from those who know the system and the best ways to publication. Many have already made that quantum leap. Many of us are still waiting for the opportunity, but not idly. Hopefully we are all continuing to pump out the writing. I can speak for myself anyway. I think I am now working on the most exciting thing I have ever tackled. I see room among the stars for my own constellation. That's my own aim, and I hope yours also. I wish you well. If you have any questions for me, by all means, ask away. I may not yet be published, but by this time I think I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to attempting to get there. John

#31 Leonardo Wild

Leonardo Wild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Over 200 articles for the Environment and Science pages of the Sunday magazine of the Diario La Hora, as well as for its cultural magazine. Also publications on cultural issues, literature and social themes for the following magazines: Eskeletra, Ciudad Alternativa, Diners, Gestión, Estudios Ecuatorianos, AsíES, ArtES, Finnis Terrae (Spain).

Scripts, Screenplays: Altogether 41 produced scripts, of which 2 became feature-length documentaries, 1 a medium-length documentary, and the other became TV spots, short institutional videos for various industries.

Books: 7 novels and 2 non-fiction books, with a 3rd one about to be published in Ecuador. A US publisher is currently reading the English version. Published with Ecuadorian and German publishing houses: C. Bertelsmann (part of the Random House Group), Omnibus Verlag (Bertelsmann) - Fischer Tanschenbuchverlag, Carlsen Verlag, Beltz & Geldberg - Libresa, Planeta Ecuador, Alfaguara, SINAB, CGVG Graf News, MayorBooks Ecuador.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

Well, hello again mwsinclair. Or should I call you Matt? At least this is what people in this forum seem to do ...

Hi everybody, Matt just pointed me in this direction as I also write non-fiction. And to follow up on a post, it looks like there is no discussion thread on "narrative non-fiction" as Matt suggested nearly a year ago (or is it prehistoric carried through from the previous website?) Should we start one? I'm not familiar with it either, so it may be good to start. Anyone interested?

A quick intro regarding my non-fiction work: I have published over 200 articles in various Ecuadorian magazines, have done contributions in 3 non-fiction books, co-authored a Native Indian Tales of South America book that was published at the German publisher Fischer Taschenbuchverlag (back in 1996), and wrote a book on ecology which was used at various schools and universities and won (back in 1998) a national prize for best social science book of the year in Ecuador. I just finished the English translation of another book that is coming out in Spanish in October (it seems), and even though I'm still on the revision stage (working on language editing and footnotes), an American publisher has asked to see it and they are currently reading it. Subject matter: monetary engineering for Joe Public and Economists alike.

I'm also working on another non-fiction book that looks will be a how-to, which is coming out as narrative non-fiction. It has three titles, and I plan to put all three on the cover! It's a very serious book written with a humorous streak on how to avoid messing up ... whatever you are doing. (Hope I can apply it to the book itself ... ) Anyway, glad to be here and ready to learn and share.

Thanks Matt for putting me onto this forum.

#32 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Happy to have you, Leonardo. Yes, the narrative nonfiction is an area I would love to see develop but there hasn't really been much pressing need for it. That said, you've brought it up, so I'll be happy to get something going as time allows. If you have thoughts or questions about it -- or anything -- you can also start threads yourself.

But I'm glad to see you pop in. Welcome.

(And that's right, my name is Matt.)

#33 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thought I'd have a go of saying hello …

I'm a nonfiction writer, and I'm working on my first book. I'm all about sharing information and thoroughly enjoyed publishing a free monthly newspaper in Chicago and in the city in which I'm now living, Durham NC. My book is a how-to for caregivers of Alzheimer's patients. I want to share my experiences while encouraging others that they can take care of someone with Alzheimer's and live to tell the tale. Posted Image
Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

#34 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Welcome Patsky! I'd imagine that it's a book that could have some real demand. This is an area that is really growing in the need for well written books that boost awareness and understanding of what is unfortunately a growing part of our population in the US.

#35 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

A somewhat belated welcome to Leonardo and Patsky. I too am an old nonfiction hanger-oner who has been hanging out on this site for several years. I have been very inactive for the last year or so, but now and then I do tune in. I suppose I could have initiated a thread long before this, but it has been one of those years. I have been actively rewriting much of my older writings, as well as dealing with many family matters. I am probably most noted here as being a military writer, but also one of those grammar gurus that most people hate. I am also have a completed memoir for which I haven't yet found a taker. I am still working on a humor book (returned to it after a couple of years). I have begun a novel, but have no idea where that is going. Basically it is going in about a dozen different directions. That is a current challenge.

I don't know if I can be of any help to either of you, but I do offer myself for anything for which I might be of service. I have certainly had my share of experience in dealing with querying, proposal writing and rejections. Except for the really incipid mistakes some people make in their queries, I have probably been guilty of most common mistakes. I know that I am still making some, as I have had very little in the way of positive responses recently. I am also a "never-say-die" kind of guy. I may quit if I am still not published by the time I am 110 years old. Then maybe not.

I wish both of you good luck, but mostly good writing, because that is what will get you there, along with persistence. Take care. John

#36 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Matt and John, thanks so much! Posted Image

I'm sure I'll have questions as I go along. I'm so happy that I'm poking around online while getting started. I'm learning valuable lessons. For example, before exploring the subject of writing a nonfiction book, I didn't know that one should first plan out the book, seek an agent, create a proposal, and then write the book. I think I've saved myself a lot of time and heartache. A friend of mine did extensive research on his nonfiction book (about the military), finished it (it took a few years), and then started approaching publishers directly. So far, all he's gotten are rejections, and he's surprised and sorely disappointed. Posted Image Too bad he didn't learn how to get a nonfiction book published before he did all that work!

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I'll learn a lot here.
Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

#37 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Good for you for doing the research. It's vitally important. Yes, for non-memoirs (and non narrative nonfiction) having the proposal written first -- before the manuscript -- is the common approach. One of the reasons behind this is that the agents and editors will likely have a strong sense of what the marketplace is calling for on a topic and will look at your proposed table of contents and be able to say "Oh, this chapter on X is very interesting. I'm not so sure we'll need more than a paragraph about Y, so that chapter can be nixed, but she doesn't seem to discuss Z at all. Let's look into this further." Before you know it, the entire manuscript is being rearranged, and that's fine.

To be sure, I'd heard some express concern or doubt about that, but one of the reasons it's true is because the agents are only saying yes to proposals from people who demonstrate that they're capable of handling such a project successfully. The people who get the golden ticket primarily are those who've written on these subjects before and have a built-in audience. That is, they have built a platform from which to speak to the masses of people who want to learn about a subject.

Memoir is different, but you still need to be able to demonstrate a reason why people will want to listen to your story. It's not enough to have a good story to tell, unfortunately. This can be a matter of timing, but it's also a matter of voice. Back in the 1990s, did the world need another story about a poor Irish kid who made good? Not necessarily, but Frank McCourt told his personal story with such a compelling voice it was almost impossible to put Angela's Ashes down.

#38 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

Patsky, it may be the common way, submitting a proposal before writing the ms, but for a first-time writer (that is without having already published your first book) is is difficult to get an agent's attention. Most would want to know that you have a finished ms, and it's ready to read. That's why I wrote both of my mss before the proposal. Then again, I am yet to be published. There you have it. I can identify with your friend, as my first completed ms was a military book. I ran into the same problem. That's why I wrote a memoir. That too is hanging in the wings. That's why I am going back to my unfinished humor book and working on the beginnings of a novel. Variety is the spice of life. As long as we keep writing, I think we are all doing well. John

#39 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Good points! The main reason that I'm unwilling to complete the manuscript (at least for now) is because I'm a first-timer. I'm thinking that a good editor / agent will be able to suggest (demand?) changes that will improve the chances for my book to become a runaway hit. Or at least to rack up decent sales numbers. Posted Image

Say, Matt, I glanced at your "Publishing Experience" (under your name, to the left). It ends with:

"Not that there's anything with nonfiction...."

Did you mean to say, "Not that there's anything wrong with nonfiction. …" ? (Sorry … once a proofreader, always a proofreader, LOL) Posted Image

#40 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Say, Matt, I glanced at your "Publishing Experience" (under your name, to the left). It ends with:

"Not that there's anything with nonfiction...."

Did you mean to say, "Not that there's anything wrong with nonfiction. …" ? (Sorry … once a proofreader, always a proofreader, LOL) Posted Image

Wow, that's been like that for months, then! Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users