90 replies to this topic

#41 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

I am wait late on this one... however... better late than never, right?

As for having a PhD--it does help the whole 'expert' angle. However, you can sometimes side-step that by getting a PhD-card-carrying someone to write your foreword. Sometimes you agree to give them a slice of the proceeds, sometimes they do it for free. Either way, it can add legitimacy to your book.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#42 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

That's very true, Jean, and thanks for posting that!

That's one of the many ways an agent can help (or the writer can help herself). Expert testimonials can go a long way.

#43 kstantonlee

kstantonlee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:McSweeney's, The Boston Globe, The Boston Banner

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Greetings, Non-Fictionites,

Tossing my hat into the ring here. My name is Kendra. I'm writing a humorous memoir on marrying outside of my race, culture, religion and raising my kids in the Bible belt. Getting loads of rejections and am backpedaling a bit. Thinking that since I am not a wildly famous pundit with my own reality TV series :happy: , I would probably be better served getting shorter pieces published in major publications. That's what I'm noodling around right now. Looking forward to getting to know more of you here.

Author of memoir. Also, if anyone has a spare labradoodle puppy, I am available. Forever. 
www.kendraspondence.com

#44 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Definitely getting some shorter pieces published in publications helps! (I'm working on that right now as well.)

Welcome!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#45 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

I echo what Jean said (including the welcome!). Of course, getting anything published in a major magazine is a challenge. Ordinarily, I'd recommend starting with the local, but if you're already getting a lot of rejections, why not try bigger. Can't hurt!

#46 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Guest blogging on 'bigger' venues can help too. To me, it feels as though it is easier to get a blog post than a print article, but print articles can flow from showing you've blogged for others. Make sense?

#47 kstantonlee

kstantonlee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Print articles flowing from guest blogging -- great thoughts. Thanks, Jean!

Author of memoir. Also, if anyone has a spare labradoodle puppy, I am available. Forever. 
www.kendraspondence.com

#48 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

As usual, Jean is absolutely correct. Keep writing and submitting and thinking. The key is honing your message, whether that is broad or razor thin (emphasis on razor). Having a message and a viewpoint helps create a distinct voice (voice is not simply a concept for fiction writers), and developing and enhancing your credentials to speak to a specific topic. Building a platform takes time, but every plank is worthwhile.

#49 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I like your analogy, Matt.

Kendra, I would suggest trying to get guest blogging spots on blogs (or websites with blogs) that have 20k followers or more if you can. And then keep moving higher on the blogging food chain until you feel as though you can make the leap into print. Then again, maybe you can jump right into print! There are many different ways to get to point B.

Lately, I've been finding lots of 'big' blogs in my niche through Twitter. Watch for who is tweeting in your niche, who is active, who has a lot of great followers, who is looking for guest bloggers, and generally use Twitter to hone your niche and connect with the big-wigs. If you aren't on Twitter already, it is an awesome place to network within your niche. In the past 24 hours I managed to land three guest blog posts in my niche on large blog sites. (I'm super excited! And while this is all sort of "sudden" I've put quite a bit of snooping and searching and networking and building in for the past few months. So don't get discouraged. It all takes a lot of time and a dedicated unfailing determination. And then suddenly it all just comes together.)

Good luck!

#50 kstantonlee

kstantonlee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Jean, be sure to share links to your guest posts. Would love to read.

My handle is ProfessorSL on Twitter.

www.kendraspondence.com

#51 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

I will. It will be a few weeks before any of them are up and some are part of a mass blogging event which will be on my own blogs but publicized as a big event on a 30-40K visitor site. Not sure how many follow the links out for those sorts of events, but I'll let you all know how it goes and whether it helps traffic and visibility, etc. Either way, it is a way to show publishers that I can write for others and know how to get my name out there, build a platform and all that. (Hopefully.)

Maybe once it is all in full swing I will start a thread on it or something.

Found you on Twitter!

#52 Adam Avitable

Adam Avitable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Mostly published online, with the exception of a short piece in Thrice Fiction.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

I thought I'd come in and introduce myself. I'm a blogger who is currently working on a memoir and in the process of finishing up the proposal and a sample chapter before I start submitting queries to agents. Do you think that one sample chapter is sufficient?

#53 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Generally they want the whole memoir written as they are treated more like novels in the publishing and agent world. Eep!

#54 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Jean's absolutely right about that.

#55 Adam Avitable

Adam Avitable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Mostly published online, with the exception of a short piece in Thrice Fiction.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Good to know. The resources I've found mostly focus on either nonfiction or fiction, so the world of memoir writing is still new to me - are there any good resources anyone would recommend for that?

Edited to add: What makes something a memoir? If I'm writing a book about dating and relationships and my perspective on such, could it fit into the broader nonfiction category or is it automatically a memoir because it's relating to my personal experiences?

#56 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

I think of a memoir as your personal life story, your autobiography albeit perhaps limited to a specific time. Your childhood in Ireland, for example, if you were Frank McCourt (which would be rather gross, seeing as how he died many months ago, now.)

Yours sounds more like traditional nonfiction if your story is broadly about dating and relationships. But if it's only your dating and relationships, perhaps it is memoir. If it is memoir, it automatically begs the questions: Why should I care, and why should I plunk down $15 or more to read about your dating foibles? The answer could be "because I'm funny," but then an agent will wonder how many people think you're funny. What's your platform? Do you actually have an audience, and if so, is it large enough to sell a large number of books? It's all a numbers game.

#57 Adam Avitable

Adam Avitable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Okay, that makes sense. And I think my answer is "because I'm funny and because there aren't many books about dating and relationships out there written from the man's perspective". I've got an audience in the tens of thousands, so I'm hoping that might be enough for an agent, too. I guess I won't know until I get the proposal and query done and see if I'm being told I need a finished manuscript first.

Can't fail unless you try, right? Thank you for the input so far.

#58 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Exactly. I'm presuming you've done the research. I find it hard to believe such a book hasn't been written, but I've never looked.

#59 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

And how are you measuring the audience? It might be larger. Do you have a regular radio or television show, for example, and do you have the number of listeners? Do you speak to groups or during conferences? Have you taught classes on some subject that's relevant to your book. Find ways of expanding that audience.

#60 Adam Avitable

Adam Avitable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

There are books by men, but they tend to be tongue-in-cheek or surprisingly misogynistic. My audience is mostly done by readership and interaction - 16,000+ on Twitter, and my site gets about 100,000 page views a month. I plan on expanding that as much as possible with my actual stand-up comedy as well. That's excellent advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users