#81 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Wow, that's great news! Congratulations!

#82 lorena

lorena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Does my experience as FFA Reporter count?

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the open invite and look forward to being a groupie.  

#83 Lisa Ferguson

Lisa Ferguson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have only had 2 short stories published in a literary journal. Oh, and a little story (one page) about my childhood, in someone else's memoir about Ram Dass, Ralph Metzner and Timothy Leary and the birth of psychedelic consciousness.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hello,

I am new and just joined.  

Lisa

#84 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Welcome, Lisa. Please tell us a little about what you write. Memoirs, it appears...

#85 PatrickWhelan

PatrickWhelan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've published travel articles at:
    http://theindependent.ca/author/patrick-whelan/

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:23 AM

Hi all, 

I'm new to the site and still trying to find when and where I should post the questions that I have.

I've published a few travel/experience articles but only for the experience and publicity for my upcoming book/books. I haven't been a writer by trade but I'm looking to become a writer by the fact that I have things to say that people want to hear.

So basically, I have no idea how to go about writing my book. I already have 11,000 words of notes written that need to be expanded upon. The thing is that I'm writing about...everything....life. So it's not a linear story.

I know I may seem young to be writing about life and feeling that I can contribute, but I've been actively studying life and human behaviour for my entire life. I've also been actively seeking out experiences to learn from them, and I also happen to be a faster learner than anybody I've ever met, in any subject, skill or experience, and I've spent time and lived in 35 countries meeting hundreds and thousands of people from every profession and background. Not to mention that I left my career as a military pilot before I even started my global life.

Anyway, back to the book. Because I'm writing about life and the things I've learned, studied, experienced - it isn't a linear story and everything is interrelated...there is no beginning and no end and I feel I would constantly have to repeat myself when I'm writing one section that needs to related to another section, etc.

Another thing I'm thinking about is whether to include my stories which helped me to learn certain things. Because if I do, maybe people will think 'well this happened for you but it may not be the same for everyone', while my studies and research have been into finding the basic building blocks for why we do things and my experience is just to highlight it.

Also, there's the tone. Do I write it with a witty style to make it more popular, with an academic discipline to make it more credible, or with a spiritual air to make it more powerful? Or do I tell a fictional story that includes the life lessons in them, in the style of Paolo Coelho or others?

There's also the question of writing one big masterpiece or many smaller books.

I know the question is 'why would anybody read your book? There are a million authors of books about life'. My answer is that there are two kinds of writers on this subject. 1. the enlightened and 2. the experienced but not even close to enlightened. The enlightened write for nearly enlightened people...the message is lost on the people who need the information the most. The experienced but not enlightened are giving quick answers to people which sound beautiful but aren't complete and most times are leading people in the wrong direction.

I'm currently in India, I've been studying yoga, meditation and enlightenment for 3 years. I've also studied Kung Fu from a monk in China. Personally, they are all tools for me and I haven't become 'one of them'. Many people in those communities have become lost in the clouds while I maintain critical thought. So I've taken information from these schools of learning and rooted them to the ground with psychology and philosophy so they can be more understandable and believable for everybody else. I see where enlightenment leads and I see where people are coming from because I've come from rock bottom to where I am and have been studying each transition along the way.

So basically, I'm the middle man, writing to the common man to put them at least on the path to enlightenment, or at least happiness and love.

I have yet to see any other writer who also seems to be at the same place.

Another option: Do I find an enlightened person's book and spell it out for people? Like "The Dalai Lama for Dummies"?

In this age of information where religions are losing their grip and society has become about having more than the other person, many people are becoming lost and disillusioned and have no idea what it's all about anymore. I want to give them direction.

So...I'm sorry for the long post but I've been at this point in my writing for a few years and haven't found anybody to ask about it. If anybody has any help or can point me in any direction, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Patrick

#86 WritersBlock

WritersBlock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, media
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Primarily having devoted my writing career to date to sport coverage, I have been a Featured Columnist for CNN's Bleacher Report, as well as a Columnist for The Province - a Canadian West Coast daily. In 2015 I hope to publish a YA sports novel with Lorimer Books in Canada. My current project is on women in the bar and restaurant industry.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Greetings fellow non-fiction folks. 

I must say that I has been somewhat blown away by the rather small corner of the AQC universe that non-fiction occupies.

Glad to have found everyone here. I am looking forward to sharing and learning a few things from the community.

Good luck to us all!

#87 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Welcome, WritersBlock. Tis true that most of the AQC denizens are fiction-focused. (To be honest, I tend to be, too; I work as a journalist, however.)

Feel free to post new threads in the NF area. That's actually a great way to let others know that we exist, because people often navigate by looking for new content.

#88 jrmcclarren

jrmcclarren

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Straitjacket Magazine - Spring, 2012; MILITARY LIFE - SERVICE OR CAREER A SOLDIER'S PROSPECTIVE, JMAC Publishing, September 2014 (available at Kindle for ebook and Amazon.com and CreateSpace for print.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hey Matt,
Are you still out here? I just noticed that no one has commented here since 2010! That's a long time! You personally have heard from me, as you did recently edit my book. I just wanted to let you know that I finally published it. For the benefit of others, I changed the old title to MILITARY LIFE - SERVICE OR CAREER A SOLDIER'S PERSPECTIVE. It's out and available at Amazon.com, CreateSpace and Kindle. It is doing quite well so far. I am well pleased with the comments I have had already. What is the procedure for getting a review from this site. That is possible, isn't it? I am trying to do the same through Military Writers Society of America. For those who might be interested, it is written to young people thinking about the military, either as a service for a few years or those who are considering it for a career. It is also for those older folks, like myself, who have been there and done it and would like to go back to reminisce those old times and experiences. It's a good read for anyone who enjoys stories about the military. I use mostly my own experiences to illustrate the main points. Please let me know about a possible review, Matt, or anyone else who may know. Thanks. John

#89 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

Hello there,

Is anyone still in this group? I'm noticing the last post is from 2014. Hello out there.

I'm working on my third book, a memoir called DIARY OF A HOLLYWOOD HEDGEWITCH. I'm transitioning from fiction to memoir. Sometimes it's better just to tell the truth. I also write poetry and personal essays for various Internet publications. I've been building my platform for years now with Twitter, blogging, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest and Instagram.

I'm looking for advice specifically on memoirs. Thanks so much for any and all input.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

#90 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

Yes, the forum is still active, though as you noted it's not the most widely traveled path in AQC. I'm its moderator and I'll be happy to answer whatever I'm able to answer and, as best I can, direct you to other places where you might find answers to what I don't know.

#91 ValerieVision

ValerieVision

ValerieVision

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've lead writing workshops in the Philadelphia area; published an anthology of local writers; written and produced an award-winning documentary film and published a companion book; Also have had several plays produced. I've been published as a reviewer and in Teaching Artists Journal. Ready to take it up a notch with my own narrative writing!

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

Hello All -- Although I've lead memoir writing workshops and produced a oral history documentary film, I am now writing a biography. Have completed three chapters and am currently working on an article about my subject, to add to my proposal. I have attended the Biographers International conferences, which are great, but I'd like to connect with other biographers more than once a year. I hope there are  some biographers on this site, looking for same!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users