Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Super helpful! I'm bad at finding good sites for writers so thank you!

#24 David Nees

David Nees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:"After the Fall: Jason's Story", is a full length novel in a post-apocalyptic time in Appalachian Mountains. It is now up on Amazon.

The sequel to "Jason's Tale", After the Fall: "Catherine's Tale, Part 1" and "Part 2" are on Amazon for pre-release; to be released in May, 2017 and June, 2017

Published in the following on-line journals:
    "Dead Guns Press"
    "A Thousand and One Stories"
    "Opening Line Literary 'Zine"

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

Larathelark,

I understand the differences between "literary" and "commercial" fiction, but where does "mainstream" fit in?  Also I've seen "action/adventure" listed as a genre (which is what I think I've written), but not often listed with agents.  Can someone explain that category as well?

Thanks for the insights.

David Nees                        ATF-FINAL.jpg   

Visit my website               After the Fall: Jason's Tale

My Amazon author page

#25 elysezane

elysezane

I'm Not This Pretty, But My Sentences Are

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet--unless you count my MFA thesis.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

I understand the differences between "literary" and "commercial" fiction, but where does "mainstream" fit in?  

"Commercial fiction is not the same as "mainstream" or "mass market" fiction, which are both umbrella terms that refer to genre fiction like science fiction, fantasy, romance, mystery, and some thrillers."

Not that that makes it a whole lot clearer...

If I've helped you--or if you're simply bored--please comment on my query: http://agentquerycon...ction/?p=319871

#26 Alexandra Wallner

Alexandra Wallner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:I have written and or illustrated over 40 published children's picture books and written for children's magazines all published in the U.S.A. Now I am turning my writing enthusiasm to writing for adults.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

I am confused about the genre issue and trying to find the correct niche for my novel. Wouldn't it be less confusing for everyone if the literary agent placed the book into the correct genre? After all, they are more experienced at dealing with genre identification than an author might be. I want to identify my novel THE PINOCCHIO RING as mystery / fantasy / humor. Would that be an acceptable tag? I am pitching my queries to agents that handle mysteries. I have also thought about labeling my novel as a cozy mystery and I have purchased some books in that genre but I can't say I have been impressed with the quality of writing. Can anyone suggest a really good contemporary cozy mystery author? Anyone with thoughts about my questions, please advise. And thank you in advance! -- I also was not able to click on the cheat sheet questionnaire although I see where it is. -- All best, Alex Wallner

#27 elysezane

elysezane

I'm Not This Pretty, But My Sentences Are

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet--unless you count my MFA thesis.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Wouldn't it be less confusing for everyone if the literary agent placed the book into the correct genre? After all, they are more experienced at dealing with genre identification than an author might be.

It would certainly be less confusing for us writers! Unfortunately, we have to pick something ourselves, because agents won't read queries unless the genre we mention is something they represent.

I don't read mysteries (or fantasy) myself, so I'm afraid I can't help you with the rest.

If I've helped you--or if you're simply bored--please comment on my query: http://agentquerycon...ction/?p=319871

#28 Kristan Cannon

Kristan Cannon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published by a small indie house (KCEditions) with two novels on shelves. I'm currently working on the third and fourth novel of the series.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

I see the highlighted blue for the cheat sheet, but there's no link?

Kristan Cannon

Author of

The Kingdom of Walden Series

www.kristancannon.com

Facebook: @KristanCannon

Twitter: @KristanCannon

#29 Sarz

Sarz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published on Amazon but not selling, looking for an agent.

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

So where does gay, M/M, sexually explicit romance fall?  My books are erotic, but they are first and foremost ROMANCE:  two people meet, fall in love (I'm a 'first-sight' junkie), and spend the rest of the book establishing a long-term relationship.  I've self-published a book on Amazon, Crimson, where the hero, Castelain, is a vampire in Victorian London.  He meets a mortal, Robin, and they fall in love.  Castelain transforms Robin into a vampire (eternity is a REAL long-term relationship!) and they're blissfully happy until ... well, all sorts of problems, but there's definitely a happy ending.

So where does that fit?  Romance?  Certainly.  Historical fiction?  I did a lot of research about Victorian times, visited London, and used a 19th-century map while writing.  Erotica?  Not as explicit as my contemporary novels, but very sexy.  Vampire fiction?  Obviously.  So where do I belong??

#30 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

So where does gay, M/M, sexually explicit romance fall?  My books are erotic, but they are first and foremost ROMANCE:  two people meet, fall in love (I'm a 'first-sight' junkie), and spend the rest of the book establishing a long-term relationship.  I've self-published a book on Amazon, Crimson, where the hero, Castelain, is a vampire in Victorian London.  He meets a mortal, Robin, and they fall in love.  Castelain transforms Robin into a vampire (eternity is a REAL long-term relationship!) and they're blissfully happy until ... well, all sorts of problems, but there's definitely a happy ending.

So where does that fit?  Romance?  Certainly.  Historical fiction?  I did a lot of research about Victorian times, visited London, and used a 19th-century map while writing.  Erotica?  Not as explicit as my contemporary novels, but very sexy.  Vampire fiction?  Obviously.  So where do I belong??

It would be considered paranormal romance.

You could also call it paranormal erotic romance, but that's a little much considering that most romance nowadays is on the steamy side thanks to 50 Shades of Grey.

You should also be aware that a ton of romance authors -- including paranormal romance authors -- are choosing self-publishing over traditional publishing because advances are smaller for traditional romance deals for debut authors and the audience readership is voracious and well-groomed to read both indie and traditional authors.

#31 Guest_pjwentzel_*

Guest_pjwentzel_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:32 PM

OK so where do I find this Cheat Sheet? If there's a link embedded in the first post it doesn't work for me.

#32 Janzenjan

Janzenjan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:One self-published book of poems and short poetic prose pieces (400 sold by word-of-mouth), one piece in an edited collection by two other authors, excerpt from book quoted in another author's published book, five articles in magazines.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

Same here; the cheat sheet link doesn't work. I'm working on DIY spirituality piece. Genre?

#33 Janzenjan

Janzenjan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:One self-published book of poems and short poetic prose pieces (400 sold by word-of-mouth), one piece in an edited collection by two other authors, excerpt from book quoted in another author's published book, five articles in magazines.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

The link doesn't work for me either.

#34 Janzenjan

Janzenjan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

Spirituality, philosophy, metaphysics? Not seeing anything relating to those subjects or non-fiction in general...

#35 Lee_Pletzers

Lee_Pletzers

Writer113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:70 magazines and anthologies across the globe. Novels published by Small Presses; BBS, Dark Continents, Panic press, recently Kiwi house, Triskaideka Books

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:05 AM

Update: book country looks to be dead. No new registrations or peer review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users