Disclaimer

Photo

3 Publishers, 3 Full Agents and One Contract (so far...)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xtymorgan

xtymorgan

NEVER GIVE UP!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Literary Status:in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I mistakenly self-published out of frustration, four novels. I'll never do that again. Just wanted to see my books in print so badly. I didn't have experience or marketing ability for them to be successful. Now I know those books will never see the light of day. Bummer. But fingers crossed I find a new agent soon and then maybe, just maybe, I'll find traditional success.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

I am so excited about the success I've had with this novel/query so far!  I just got an offer for publication today!!  I still have it out with two other publishers and three other agents so I'm weighing my options, but I wanted to share this successful query!

Thanks for all the help I got on the query help topic!

Dear Agent:

I am sending my query to you in hopes that you will consider representing my novel, LIKE FATHER, LIKE DAUGHTER, a women’s fiction/domestic noir novel, complete at 50,000 words.  I have specifically chosen you because (insert something personal).  I have included (whatever they asked for) of my manuscript for your review and consideration.  If you would like a larger sample, or my entire manuscript, please feel free to contact me using the information below my signature.

There’s no how-to manual for how to cope with a serial killer father, nor is there one for how to cope with waking up next to your dead husband.  Libby really could use both.

Libby Carter grew up with a loving mother and father - the quintessential suburban family.  But she is deposited onto an emotional tilt-a-whirl when her father confesses to being the infamous “I-75 Strangler”.  Against all odds, Libby finds love and stability with her husband Ryan.

Waking up to find her husband in bed beside her with his head nearly blown off was a horrendous shock, and her lack of emotion has put her at the top of the suspect list.  Libby is left to wonder if she is truly capable of murdering the man she loves. After all, she can’t remember anything after their big argument the night before.  Plus, she’s the daughter of a serial killer, so there’s that.

Libby is arrested for Ryan’s murder but is released on bond pending what will surely be a high profile trial.  While her career as a paralegal gives her insight into how the legal system works, she can’t help but be terrified for her own fate.  As a result of much soul-searching and a great deal of investigation, she comes to believe she is completely incapable of murdering the man she loved, even after she finds out he was having an affair with a heroin addicted Miley Cyrus wannabe. Unfortunately, this all happens at the same time law enforcement is convinced she did it.

Libby risks her life to clear herself and find Ryan’s killer.  The story makes an abrupt twist when she discovers someone is out there…watching her every move.  She unexpectedly finds herself face-to-face with her stalker and in a fight for her life.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE DAUGHTER is the first in a thrilling trilogy about love, family and redemption which fans of Gone Girl and Girl on the Train will enjoy.  In the second novel, FAMILY TIES, Libby adjusts to her new life after moving to the coast and seeking her private investigator’s license.  She embarks on a journey to discover the truth about her father, and in the process discovers something she never knew about her family, a twist that leads to the third novel, MY BROTHER’S KEEPER.  

This is my eleventh completed novel.  My short story, “Juggling the Many Hats of a Paralegal” was published in a national magazine for attorneys in 2013.  Like the protagonist, I am a paralegal.  I was able to relate to Libby and I possess first-hand knowledge of the legal process.  I live in Kentucky with my husband and two teenage daughters.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

CK Morgan

Author/Paralegal

"There is nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." ~ Ernest Hemingway

#2 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

It's a longer than average query, but it obviously worked. And it worked with me, too. I can't wait to read it.

#3 BJC

BJC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

Well, a BIg congratulations!!   Very happy for  you :biggrin:

#4 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE and SCEPTER OF FIRE, Fantasy,Snowy Wings Publishing, May 2017
    Library mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in Jan. 2018

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:41 AM

Congratulations!

#5 bmontesdeoca

bmontesdeoca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Articles in several newspapers and digital magazines, both in English and in Spanish, in Costa Rican and Spaniard markets.

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Congratulations. Highly detailed, and as observed before, longer than usual. However, it might have been that very same level of detail which sold it. Good work. 

My query is here

My website is here

And my positive vibes are everywhere

#6 Selene Bell

Selene Bell

Still feels like a new member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on that! None yet. I'm a copy editor at a medium-sized daily newspaper.

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:36 PM

That's great! Congrats!

Confessions of a Binge Reader -- www.selene-bell.com -- for query tips, book recommendations and other interesting minutia

@selene_bell

#7 B. L. Hickey

B. L. Hickey

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My Keeper, is a YA fantasy/romance. Through The Door, a YA crime thriller with a touch of romance. Winter's Blood, a supernatural/horror novelette, released 2/24/2016. Currently, writing under a pen name with five novella's/novelette's self-published.(Eight books published)

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

Congrats fellow Kentuckian! :smile:

#8 swimwritesurf

swimwritesurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My MG adventure, Spirit of the Wind, is currently available at the Comsewogue Public Library in NY and the InTown Books bookstore in Atlanta. I've spoken to over 250 students from across the U.S.A. Mckenna Grace, 9 y/o actress in Amityville: The Awakening, Crash & Bernstein, etc. is currently reading my book

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

Congrats! Sounds awesome :) did the agent not care that you had self published previously? 

If I've offered advice on your work, please try to reciprocate. Thanks!

Promo blurb here

Spirit of the Wind on Amazon here

Follow me on Twitter here

#9 dkorngold

dkorngold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:26 PM