#1 xtymorgan

xtymorgan

NEVER GIVE UP!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Literary Status:in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I mistakenly self-published out of frustration, four novels. I'll never do that again. Just wanted to see my books in print so badly. I didn't have experience or marketing ability for them to be successful. Now I know those books will never see the light of day. Bummer. But fingers crossed I find a new agent soon and then maybe, just maybe, I'll find traditional success.

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

Anyone ever dealt with Mascot Books before?

Here's the deal:

On my latest query, I have currently FIVE full manuscript requests out with agents and THREE full manuscript requests out with publishers (so far!).  One of the publishers, Naren from Mascot Books, has already contacted me by phone three times since he first requested my manuscript.  In our last call (this past Wednesday), he said he was halfway through with my book and he LOVED IT (so far).  We even discussed marketing strategies, cover art, printing/distribution and my forthcoming two follow-up books in the series.  He said something along the lines of "if the rest of your book is as good as the first part, I think we can probably work something out"!

I have so many questions and not sure where to post them all, but for this Topic, I'm going to stick with one question for now.  Does anyone know anything about this publisher?  Or, more importantly, has anyone published with them?  I have a really strong feeling I might get an offer from them but I don't just want to jump at the first opportunity, especially when I still have others out there (agents and publishers).  I did a little research before I queried and ONLY sent my query to publishers that seemed legit and who might actually publish my book in print and on a larger scale.  I also considered their cover art on their other books, which is important to me.  Everything seems on the up and up, but you never know in this industry.  Especially when you're a debut novelist.  I've written eleven novels but this is the farthest I've gotten with any of them.

Luckily, I'm a paralegal and my attorney has already agreed to read any contract I might (knock on wood) receive in the future for free.  But I really want to know more about Mascot Books...more than what I can find on the internet, anyway.  I'd love to hear from someone who either published with them or knows someone who did.

Oh, and one more question...I'd love to know everyone's opinion on whether it's better to go with an indie publisher or an agent on your first book.  I've debated this ad nauseum over the past week (even though I don't have any firm offers yet).  I'm just curious as to what I would do if I was offered a publishing deal from an indie publisher while I still had several agents reviewing my novel.  Thoughts?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CK Morgan

Author/Paralegal

"There is nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." ~ Ernest Hemingway

#2 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Oh, and one more question...I'd love to know everyone's opinion on whether it's better to go with an indie publisher or an agent on your first book.  [...]  I'm just curious as to what I would do if I was offered a publishing deal from an indie publisher while I still had several agents reviewing my novel.  Thoughts?

From what I can see, Mascot Books isn't an indie press. They're a self-publishing company, akin to Lulu or CreateSpace. (It says so when their company comes up in a Google search.) 

An indie or small press is a bit different:

Q: What's the difference between an independent press and a small press? 
A: For most presses that call themselves "independent," there is little practical difference. However, for most publishers who are small in size, their raison d'etre is not to be small. Rather, they are here to publish quality books from a particular point of view, and the cultural – and, at times, even the financial – impact of their work is far from small in today's publishing climate, which is dominated by a few gigantic houses.

That's from the FAQ for the Community of Literary Magazines and Presses, which you might want to check out if you're interested in indie and small presses (http://www.clmp.org/faq/clmp_faq.html). Indie presses work like their behemoth counterparts, more or less, they're just more niche in interest. They're absolutely compatible with having an agent -- actually, agents sell to small presses all the time. It wouldn't be at all out of character to go to agents who had your fulls/partials and say, I've had an offer from a small press, does this affect whether your want to offer me representation, etc, just as you could with an offer from another agent or a bigger house. (As long as you didn't sign a contract first, an agent's hands are tied after that.) 

Mascot Books looks like it's "self-publishing plus" -- they'll help you design a cover, and with edits, but will they charge you for those services? I can't see from the website. When I click the About section it's only news articles other people have written about their authors, nothing about how they operate or how they distribute books. I guess the question is, what do YOU want out of this journey? Do you basically want to self-publish, only with help from others on particulars?

#3 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

This great advice and spot-on. There is a HUGE difference between a small, independent press and an indie press that is a self-publisher. The small, traditional presses DO NOT CHARGE you anything to publish your book. They may be royalty-only or a small advance + royalties, but there are no hidden fees. The press assumes the costs of editing, cover design, production, etc.

The differences between a small press and one of the big six are size and influence. A small press will do smaller print runs and probably ask you to do much of your own promotion. They may provide some support, but they won't hire a publicist for you, for example.

An indie press that is really a self-publisher/collaborative press is one where the publisher provides some services for free but charges the author (often on a sliding scale) for other services, including things like cover design, editing, production, distribution, etc. The biggest issue here is that these presses are considered vanity presses because the author is paying for services. This distinction makes it harder to get reviews with many bloggers or placement in brick-and-mortar stores.

Hope that helps some.

Jeanne

#4 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:50 PM

I have researched them and although id doesn't say it I think they are self publishers. 

If you Google "mascot books" they're the first result, and the link reads: Mascot Books :: Self Publishing Company.

They don't say that on their actual website though, which I find a little suspicious. 

#5 Ann Robertson

Ann Robertson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on it.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

Preditors & Editors say they are a self publishing publisher but give no further feedback on if they are to be avoided.

Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity. :biggrin:

#6 shawnrohrbach

shawnrohrbach

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:9 books and 1 script produced. Newest novel coming out in September 2016 and next script to be produced now in pre-production. Please visit my web site www.shawnrohrbach.com for a complete writing vitae

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

http://mascotbooks.com/publishing/

Shawn Rohrbach
www.shawnrohrbach.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users