I couldn't figure out which forum was the best to post this question. Looks like no one has been in here in a while so I'm sure I won't get a response, but here goes.
So, my latest novel has garnered me 5 full requests from agents and 3 full requests from publishers, so far. one of the publishers has called me several times since I sent him my novel and we've had some very encouraging conversations which lead me to believe an offer is forthcoming.
BUT...I can't decide what on earth I'm going to do if I get an offer to publish from this Indie publisher while I still have fulls out there with agents! I can't decide if I'd rather publish my first novels (it's a series) with an Indie publisher or if I'd rather go with an agent. I'm so confused.
If I get the offer I think I'm going to get from this publisher, it will likely be for all three books in the series. But I know that with a smaller publisher, I won't have as much publicity and/or as much distribution/marketing. Therefore, I would probably make next to nothing, if anything at all.
Now, money is not my driving motivator. I'd like to make money yes, but ultimately, I just want to see my books in print, as we all do.
But if I go with an agent, wouldn't I have a lot higher chance of making more money (i.e., an advance and higher royalties?) And wouldn't my book be more widely published?
But then again, just because I secure an agent doesn't guarantee I'll land a deal with one of the big six. So, what if I pass on the opportunity with the Indie publisher, go with an agent and then they can't land me a deal!?
My head is spinning and I would really love some advice on this, preferably from people in-the-know.