#1 xtymorgan

xtymorgan

NEVER GIVE UP!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Literary Status:in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I mistakenly self-published out of frustration, four novels. I'll never do that again. Just wanted to see my books in print so badly. I didn't have experience or marketing ability for them to be successful. Now I know those books will never see the light of day. Bummer. But fingers crossed I find a new agent soon and then maybe, just maybe, I'll find traditional success.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

I just got THE CALL last night from my top agent pick!  This came after eight full requests, one of which resulted in an offer to publish from a small press (which I declined politely).  I'm not a represented author!!  Hopefully, soon to be published, too!  She had so many wonderful things to say about my novel and said she stayed up all night the night before reading it!  She then told her co-agents about it and they loved it, too!  She said it's what the market wants right now and that we should have no problem getting it published.

I can't thank everyone on here enough because I posted my query on here, got some feedback, made some changes based on that feedback and voila!  Here we are!

Anyway, here's my successful query:

I am sending my query to you in hopes that you will consider representing my novel, LIKE FATHER, LIKE DAUGHTER, a women’s fiction/domestic noir novel, complete at 50,000 words.  I have specifically chosen you because (insert personal tidbit here). I have included (whatever they ask for) of my novel for your consideration.  If you would like a larger sample, or the entire manuscript, you may contact me using the information below my signature.

There’s no how-to manual for how to cope with a serial killer father, nor is there one for how to cope with waking up next to your dead husband.  Libby really could use both.

Libby Carter grew up with a loving mother and father - the quintessential suburban family.  But she is deposited onto an emotional tilt-a-whirl when her father confesses to being the infamous “I-75 Strangler”.  Against all odds, Libby finds love and stability with her husband Ryan.

Waking up to find her husband in bed beside her with his head nearly blown off was a horrendous shock, and her lack of emotion has put her at the top of the suspect list.  Libby is left to wonder if she is truly capable of murdering the man she loves. After all, she can’t remember anything after their big argument the night before.  Plus, she’s the daughter of a serial killer, so there’s that.

Libby is arrested for Ryan’s murder but is released on bond pending what will surely be a high profile trial.  While her career as a paralegal gives her insight into how the legal system works, she can’t help but be terrified for her own fate.  As a result of much soul-searching and a great deal of investigation, she comes to believe she is completely incapable of murdering the man she loved, even after she finds out he was having an affair with a heroin addicted Miley Cyrus wannabe. Unfortunately, this all happens at the same time law enforcement is convinced she did it.

Libby risks her life to clear herself and find Ryan’s killer.  The story makes an abrupt twist when she discovers someone is out there…watching her every move.  She unexpectedly finds herself face-to-face with her stalker and in a fight for her life.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE DAUGHTER is the first in a thrilling trilogy about love, family and redemption which fans of Gone Girl and Girl on the Train will enjoy.  In the second novel, FAMILY TIES, Libby adjusts to her new life after moving to the coast and seeking her private investigator’s license.  She embarks on a journey to discover the truth about her father, and in the process discovers something she never knew about her family, a twist that leads to the third novel, MY BROTHER’S KEEPER.  

This is my eleventh completed novel.  My short story, “Juggling the Many Hats of a Paralegal” was published in a national magazine for attorneys in 2013.  Like the protagonist, I am a paralegal.  I was able to relate to Libby and I possess first-hand knowledge of the legal process.  I live in Kentucky with my husband and two teenage daughters.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

CK Morgan

Author/Paralegal

"There is nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." ~ Ernest Hemingway

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

Congratulations!

#3 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

That's fantastic!!!!! Congratulations!  :biggrin:

#4 Ann Robertson

Ann Robertson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on it.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

Congratulations!!!

Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity. :biggrin:

#5 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

Congrats!

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#6 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

Congratulations!

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#7 Carolynne Nelson

Carolynne Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Congratulations! :)

I'd appreciate if you'd take a look at my query here, DARKEST DAYS

#8 K Stuble

K Stuble

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Former newspaper reporter

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:14 AM

Congratulations!!! Eleven completed novels! This agent was smart to scoop you up.

#9 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Congrats! Sounds like an exciting premise.

#10 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

Congrats!

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...rescue-me-lgbt/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis: http://agentquerycon...rescue-me-lgbt/

Twitter Hook(s): http://agentquerycon...rescue-me-lgbt/

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#11 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

AWESOME! Congrats!

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#12 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

So exciting---congrats!!!!

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users