Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

I consider what I write fantasy, but I find it so hard to find good fantasy novels out there. I live in a smaller area, and even the inter-library loan doesn't have many books in the fantasy/supernatural genres that aren't young adult romance nonsense. 

Could anyone refer me some good fantasy books? I want to read more Urban Fantasy because that's what my story kind of is. 

I'm not into the vampire-werewolf scene, so please, none of that. I want solid, good plot with real, interesting, 3-dimensional characters. I know that what I consider "good" won't be what the next person considers, but I'll give them a shot. 

#2 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

Urban Fantasy is one of my faves.

Now, I wouldn't dismiss the vampire and/or werewolf books entirely -- some of them, especially slightly older books, are truly excellent. I think "Bitten" by Kelley Armstrong holds up; "Sunshine," by Robin McKinley has incredible voice and world-building (and won a Mythopoetic Award); and Annette Curtis Klause was writing paranormal YA long before it was cool. Plus her books deal with actually interesting issues that come with those monsters, like self-efficacy and growing awareness of one's mortality. I understand not liking books you find uninteresting, but I really urge you not to dismiss books just the kind of monsters they feature -- especially if you want to be a pro in that area, I really think it behooves you to understand a subgenre's history and influence. I mean, I'm a nerd for this stuff, but I'll even argue you can't understand the evolution of urban fantasy unless you read the early Anita Blake books. (I'd say read the first to be informed, and if you enjoy it the first five are definitely worth your time.) 

That said, there's definitely more than vampires and werewolves out there. I have no idea what you've read or liked, so I can't help but recommend the classics. Charles De Lint's Newford books were the precursor to a lot of urban fantasy, and I especially recommend "Dreams Underfoot" and "Memory and Dream." Emma Bull's "War for the Oaks" is a must-read classic. "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman should definitely be mentioned here. They're rarer than four-leaf clovers, but if you can lay hands on any of the original Bordertown anthologies (pre-2000) edited by Terri Windling, do.

As for newer, non-vampwere stuff... I really liked the worldbuilding in "Ill Wind" by Rachel Caine, although the series itself was a bit of a miss for me. "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" is a bit half-and-half urban and high fantasy, but if Laini Taylor's prose style resonates with you it's more than worth a read. I haven't finished reading them myself so this is a qualified rec, but the big recent series are Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series and Max Gladstone's Craft sequence. 

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of, so I may come back later. But I hope you enjoy at least some of these.  

#3 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:25 published magazine articles
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:38 PM