#1 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

A critic is really only as good as their track record. If you only read one of their reviews, then you have no idea how their opinion will jive with yours. If you want to use critics to help you choose a book to read, then you've got to cultivate a feel for their taste and writing style.

Back in the pre-digital days, this was easy. You only had to choose from the NY Times, LA Times, your local paper and maybe your local TV or radio stations.

Now, it's anybody's ball game. With thousands of blog reviewers, some with the readership of a city paper, critics are scattered all over the planet and it's hard to get a feel for who is good, who is great, and who is a waste of time.

And, make no mistake, critics are important to writers, more so now than ever. With a slew of "raw art" on the market, consumers need someone to tell them which books are good, which ones are great, and which ones are a waste of time.

So, I thought a list might be nice. Who are your favorite critics and how do we find them?

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:30 PM

Having posted the question, I guess I should also supply my answers.

This is a bit tough for a dyslexic writer, because I don't read a lot so I don't have a tremendous need to follow critics. All of the ones I'm about to post are people who have reviewed my book, which is WAY too self-serving for my taste, but what can I do? 

I will note that I'm not posting only critics who gave me good reviews. Some loved the book, but aren't aren't very good at the craft of criticism. If I had an unfavorable review by a good critic, I'd certainly post them as a good critic - but oh, shucks, I don't have one of those. :)

Here are a couple of critics I like:

Holly B in NC 

https://www.goodread....com/hollyb_ncĀ 

Kirstin Pulioff  http://www.amazon.co...e/A5OL1QLI66WCM

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users