Disclaimer

Photo

5 Fulls, 6 Partials, 1 Offer of Representation!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

I honestly cannot believe I am writing this, I have so many crazy mixed emotions right now, but here goes:

I've been querying since March, thanks in huge part to the amazing people at this forum who helped me work my query to perfection. I sent out over 100 queries, received full requests from agents and small presses, and endured rejection upon rejection. I was rejected by my dream agent. I was rejected by a small press I loved very much and really wanted to work with after a careful R&R. I got tons of varied feedback from my helpful beta readers. I questioned my abilities as a writer, whether or not my book was any good, and whether or not it could sell (as yet to be determined).

Finally, today, I get an email from an agent who loves my book, wants to tweak a few things, but overall is very excited about my project, understands it, and is passionate about it. She said it's timeless and she read it so many times. It made her emotional. She said it reminded her of an indie film, and compared it to The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I got an offer of representation. 

I told her I will give her my full decision in a week after I read over the contract and notify the other agents who my have partials, but I am 99% sure I am going to go with her, and will be going on submission very soon.

Here is the query that got me there:

Dear Agent:

Burro Hills is a rough town, and best friends Jack and Jess are doing their best to survive it, even if it means hurting each other — and themselves —along the way.

Seventeen-year-old Jack is struggling to accept his sexuality, but neither his family nor his friends have any idea.  The only one who sees right through him is fearless new kid Connor, and the two soon begin an intense, secret love affair.  But as Jack grows closer to Connor, he distances himself from Jess at a time when she needs him the most.  Meanwhile, Jack is growing increasingly paranoid that Toby, his friend with a violent streak, will expose their relationship.

Jess, who has just moved in with her mother in the wake of a nasty divorce, feels the pressure to get into her dream school and be just as prominent as her beloved older sister.  After Jack crosses the line at a wild party, she begins finding solace in Toby.  He introduces her to his dangerous high school underworld of drugs and partying, and Jess finds herself slipping further away from her friends, her dreams, and her true self.

When Connor and Jack come face-to-face with Toby and his gang in the woods, things take a turn for the worse.  Will Jess forgive Jack for what he’s done and come to his aid, or is their friendship doomed?

BURRO HILLS is a contemporary young adult novel complete at 78,000 words, and will appeal to readers who enjoyed Laurie Halse Anderson’s Speak and Amy Lynn Reed’s Clean

I am currently pursuing an MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults at The New School. My fiction has appeared in the North American ReviewThe Lascaux ReviewBlazeVOX15, Dewpoint, and is forthcoming in Black Denim Lit.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Me

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#2 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

Congrats!

#3 spineofiron

spineofiron

Probably Drinking Coffee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Congratulations!

"I am a fire escape. My spine is made of iron, my heart pumps out old red paint."

-- Foster the People

#4 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

Great news. Just shows again. Never give up.

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

Twitter: @tccorrey

#5 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

That is great news!!! Good things come to those you hang in there :)

#6 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

Congrats!!

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#7 annab3lla

annab3lla

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:KAT AND MEG CONQUER THE WORLD (HarperTeen '17)(contemporary YA)

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

Congrats! How exciting!

#8 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

Thank you!!

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#9 Preston Copeland.Biz

Preston Copeland.Biz

Preston Copeland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I am a self-published author at prestoncopeland.biz.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

Awesome! Good luck with your project! :)

Preston Copeland

Twitter: @pcopeland2345

Email: pcopeland2345@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users