#1 Loewe

Loewe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationRussia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

The next week I begin to query my book to the agents and today I face the most unpleasant situation im my life.

I have fantasy books with colored (watercolor) pictures. Production of each book costs for me ~ 13-15 thousands USD (translation and art) per one book. I work with real good artists over the world (with well-known names and thousands of followers).

For the book, which in progress now, artist ask me for full payment in advice (~ 10000 USD). I live in Russia and can get this sum only as bank debt with yearly percentage ~40%, because in new economical situation my salary horribly decreased down to 600 USD per month. Yes, bank rob me - it's true.

So, here is the question - which advance/payment will be good for negotiation with agent/publisher as a profitability for my kind of books?

I seft via internet and find different sums for advance - from 1000 USD to 250-500 thousands USD. But I want to hear your opinions.

#2 susanhughes@sympatico.ca

susanhughes@sympatico.ca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My books have been published by many presses, including Scholastic Canada, Kids Can Press, Owl Kids, Red Deer Press, and Fitzhenry Whiteside.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

In my experience in Canada, and from what I understand about American publishing, most publishing editors/agents will not expect to receive a YA manuscript submitted with illustrations. Most YA books are not, in fact, published with illustrations, so your project will be rather unusual to most editors/agents. 

As a result it's difficult to say how large an advance you'd get. I do know that as an unpublished author it would not be unreasonable to expect an advance of $5000 for your manuscript (without art). If they fall in love with it and a bidding war begins, who knows?  

Also, just out of curiosity, have you also considered submitting your manuscript without the illustrations? Would you agree to a sale without the art included?

#3 LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am mainly a self-published writer, and looking to break into hybrid publishing.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

I'll also add if it's picture books perhaps it's not YA you're trying to achieve. Remember that YA means teens. Hope that helps.

Meadow Of Gold: Uploaded Fairy Saga -- Satanic Futurism -- Novella -- Complete

Simply Pace -- Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Beyond The Dreamer's Edge -- New Mainstream/Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Hemato Tomato -- Guillotine Western/Magic Realism -- Short Story -- Complete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users