Disclaimer

Photo

Using Rhetorical Questions in Your Synopsis?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kellyann

kellyann

Recent Graduate of Guppy Pond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short story - on Woman's Memoirs website

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

I think I read or heard someplace you should not use openended questions in your sypnosis i.e. Is it fate? Was it the giant chili cheese dog she ate?

Any comments? :laugh: that is not a rhetorical question...
It’s never too late to shoot for the stars regardless of who you are- Nickelback

#2 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Kellyann,

The purpose of the synopsis is to lay out the events of your book. This is when you disclose your plot, your MC's successes and failures along the way and the ultimate outcome. Agents/editors want to know that your story arc makes sense.

It's when we also disclose that twist at the end that sends chills up our spines! It may seem counterintuitive to spill the beans like this, but that is the essence of a synopsis.

Questions will not serve any of those purposes.

Best luck!

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#3 Hmmm.

Hmmm.

Im a baby fox. Obviously.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

Kellyann,

The purpose of the synopsis is to lay out the events of your book. This is when you disclose your plot, your MC's successes and failures along the way and the ultimate outcome. Agents/editors want to know that your story arc makes sense.

It's when we also disclose that twist at the end that sends chills up our spines! It may seem counterintuitive to spill the beans like this, but that is the essence of a synopsis.

Questions will not serve any of those purposes.

Best luck!

Great advice, Cat! I was wondering this myself as I have been working on my own synposis. Thanks for making it a bit clearer!:happy:
imababyfox

"My pen won't pour a lyric line when I'm gone, so I guess I'll have to do it while I'm here..." - Phil Ochs

#4 Silver roze

Silver roze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I was published through the school for short stories and poems when I was younger, since then I have finished two other MS but this is the first one Ive tried to publish.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

Is there anywhere on this site (or another site that you'd recommend) on the processes of writing a synopsis? I have mine started (it's not great) and I've been looking online but all the adivce I've found seems... conflicting. Any help would be appericated!

#5 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

Is there anywhere on this site (or another site that you'd recommend) on the processes of writing a synopsis? I have mine started (it's not great) and I've been looking online but all the adivce I've found seems... conflicting. Any help would be appericated!

Almost any advice you will get in the area of writing can, and will be conflicting. It is a convoluted calling with a core of "rules."

It becomes especially so when you notice that others will make it by breaking those rules, from time to time. Here are a couple of good links, but the best advice I can think of is to learn all you can about the 'rules', get them correct, then don't be afraid to bend them a bit. :wink:

5 Steps to Writing A Synopsis

Tips About How To Write a Synopsis from Fiction Writer's Connection

Hope these help a bit, Silver.

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users