#1 xtymorgan

xtymorgan

NEVER GIVE UP!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Literary Status:in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I mistakenly self-published out of frustration, four novels. I'll never do that again. Just wanted to see my books in print so badly. I didn't have experience or marketing ability for them to be successful. Now I know those books will never see the light of day. Bummer. But fingers crossed I find a new agent soon and then maybe, just maybe, I'll find traditional success.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

Some of you may have seen my other posts regarding my novel, Like Father, Like Daughter, wherein I announced that back in July, I was approached by an agent to represent me and my novel.  At the time, I had one other offer and three other agents reviewing my full MS.  I politely turned down the other agent (even though she was actually my first choice) and advised the other agents of my situation.  This new agent and I got along great the entire time.  No arguments or disagreements, even in the midst of some drastic revisions.  We did three revisions and I just sent her the third version two weeks ago.  I waited and waited to hear back from her.  We had discussed sending it to the editor by the end of September/mid-October.  Then, all of the sudden, out of the blue last week, I received an email from her praising my work, my book, my characters and even my voice, but telling me she was "setting me free" to explore other options.  The only "explanation" she gave me was to say that she THOUGHT I wouldn't want to do any more revisions but she felt it needed at least one more round.  I NEVER SAID THIS.  I never even hinted at the fact that I was unhappy about the revisions.  In fact, I thought they made the book even better than the first draft.  I literally cried for two days.  I had come so close to seeing my dreams come true only to have this agent drop me for no good reason at all.  I don't know what her real reason was, but I don't by the sorry excuse for a reason she gave me.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?  What on earth do I do now?

I did reach out to the other agent who had previously offered me (my first choice) and she amazingly agreed to read my latest draft of the novel.  So now I'm waiting to hear back from her and I did get one other full MS request last week, so I do have two agents currently reading my full script.  BUT...I'm so disappointed because I was already past this point.  I had an agent, a contract and my novel was on its way to the editor!  I can't imagine how I'll feel if I don't secure a new agent soon.  I have started a new book, but Like Father, Like Daughter, I still believe, is THE ONE.

Any advice?  Any agents on here who might be able to explain why an agent would drop a client for no apparent reason?  As I said, from what I could tell, we got a long great and from the beginning, she was so enthusiastic about my novel.  I don't know what changed.  I didn't post anything bad on social media, didn't complain to her or anyone else.  I just don't get it.

What about re-querying the novel now that it's undergone major revisions?

Tell me there's still hope.

CK Morgan

Author/Paralegal

"There is nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." ~ Ernest Hemingway

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

So it didn't go out on submission, right? I think there's still hope.

#3 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

I assume you disclosed your self-published books when they talked to you/signed you?  (I know this is a different book).

Sometimes the business is just weird.  You have had interest from others, so I'm sure you'll find someone new.

#4 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

It sounds like the revision process revealed some basic incompatibilities in your working relationship. You obviously don't see it that way but, no offense, many authors are so goal-oriented at this point in the process they overlook this kind of thing. This is pure conjecture, but from what you're saying here it MIGHT be the case that the suggestions she was making weren't being realized (by you) the way she expected, and she assumed you didn't WANT to make those changes to the extent she was originally expecting. 

Regardless, it sounds like one of two things has happened: either she felt you two weren't compatible, which means this is all for the best, or she's a complete flake, which means this is REALLY for the best. I know it feels like there's a finish line and you want to get back in the race, but you're wrong -- publishing your book isn't the finish, only the first checkpoint in the long, long marathon of your career. You've got to keep the long-term goal in mind, and industry people will line up to assure you that having the wrong agent is absolutely, positively, no-question SO MUCH WORSE than having no agent as all.

#5 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

If it hasn't been subbed and you had considerable agent interest before I don't see why you shouldn't now--particularly as you feel the manuscript is even better than before. chin up!

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#6 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

If it hasn't been subbed and you had considerable agent interest before I don't see why you shouldn't now--particularly as you feel the manuscript is even better than before. chin up!

Agreed.

This is actually more common than you think...agents dropping clients along the way or losing interest in them for one reason or another.

It's one of the many reasons never to put all your queries into one basket, especially when you receive an offer of representation.

http://www.agentquer.../writer_or.aspx

If the book hasn't yet been submitted yet to editors, you're still in a decent situation to have other agents, who were originally interested in it, reviewing it again.

#7 Chloe Kleine

Chloe Kleine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Have now turned my hand to writing novels.
    Almost finished editing the first novel I want to publish.
    Do please take a look at my new query : RED MOON

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:15 AM

xtymorgan - wow - you must have been devastated.

But in my opinion everything happens for a reason. Your original favorite agent is now back in the game AND with a REVISED version of your MS.

You yourself think the new version is better. You'll have more confidence now with the original agent and most probably she will have more confidence in your book too.

There'll be no hard feelings - and you can tell her she was your original choice.

Other agent's loss. HUGE.. (Think Julia Roberts walking into designer department store in Pretty Woman)

Seriously - this was probably meant to happen.  Chin up, and here's hoping a good result comes about soon!

PS :-)

Please critique my query, and I will return the favour!

http://agentquerycon...n-bdsm-romance/

#8 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:32 AM

My agent and I parted ways several years ago. I shelved the project, which she was a big fan of but had run out of places to send it.

That was five years ago. 

We're back together and preparing to go out on submissions again.

As Vicki said - this business is weird.

Oh, and... check your mail on here. :) 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#9 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pubs in literary magazines.

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

How incredibly disappointing for you..  Any number of things could have happened--it may have been that you were incompatible, or maybe she was having personal or family problems, but regardless, unfortunately she did not give you any information on why.  So don't take it personally.  And she certainly made it clear that she thinks your book is good. If it was the case that you were not on the same page about edits, perhaps its best that you part ways-- because ultimately it's your book, and its not about writing the book she wants, but the book YOU want. 

If it's any consolation, Garth Stein was dropped was dropped by his agent when his agent read his manuscript and said that no one would want to read a book told from the perspective of a dog.  (that book was The Art of Racing in the Rain, which went on to sell millions.).  (I love collecting stories like that!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users