#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

I understand the spectrum for Native Americans is quite broad and varies, but I'm trying to focus specifically Seminole Indians for another story I have. Personal experiences or info is welcomed!, but any facts will help! I'm interested in names, language, culture, mythologies and such. Feel free to respond.

#2 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

The Seminole Indian Museum in Florida has a blog that might help you get started.

https://ahtahthiki.wordpress.com/

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#3 Zaarin

Zaarin

Tolkien Acolyte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Also, you'll find that the Seminole were ultimately split into three groups: most of the Seminoles ended up in Oklahoma; a few remain in Florida, and some ended up with the Mikasuki (or Miccosukee) in Florida (the largest tribe in Florida, if I'm not mistaken).

#4 DeerBear

DeerBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

As far as I know, Native Americans resent very much being called "Indian", so I would avoid the expression "Seminole Indian" even in questions such as this because, if you do use that wording, it may slip in your text as well and end up being overlooked by editors. 

But I could be wrong and would be happy to be corrected.

A

#5 Zaarin

Zaarin

Tolkien Acolyte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

As far as I know, Native Americans resent very much being called "Indian", so I would avoid the expression "Seminole Indian" even in questions such as this because, if you do use that wording, it may slip in your text as well and end up being overlooked by editors. 

But I could be wrong and would be happy to be corrected.

A

The feelings of individuals vary, of course, but mostly white people seem to be more offended by it than Native Americans. "American Indian" is also the current term in scholarship in the US, for what that's worth; in Canada the term "First Nations" or "First Peoples" is preferred. That being said, it's not difficult to avoid controversy by simply sticking to tribal affiliations.

#6 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

The feelings of individuals vary, of course, but mostly white people seem to be more offended by it than Native Americans. "American Indian" is also the current term in scholarship in the US, for what that's worth; in Canada the term "First Nations" or "First Peoples" is preferred. That being said, it's not difficult to avoid controversy by simply sticking to tribal affiliations.

Agreed. I find it so humorous that White Americans (of which, I am one) think that calling a people mistakenly named "Indian" by one of the worst navigators in European History is offensive, but saying that they are natives to a country named after one of the best European navigators is soooo much nicer. :)

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users