#1 Spaulding

Spaulding

Frumpy Old Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing but a couple of nonfiction articles ages ago.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

I just learned many agents don't bother looking at new queries at the end of the year, because they're trying to clear their desks to get ready for next year. And since e-mail querying has increased the number of daily queries, it's an overload on them.

Guess when I was planning on querying.  :blush:

So, now I want to know when is the best time to send queries?

If I helped you, please critique my query -- The Comfort Ban.

Or the synopsis. (If you're in a particularly cheery mood, I'll accept a crit for both. Better yet, if you're in a foul mood, take it out on both.  :wink: )

#2 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

I've heard January/February... kind of when they're starting the year fresh.  But please don't quote me on that... I don't have a source. :laugh:

That's when I'm sending out all my queries... :wub:

hcrp_175.jpg

"It was ancient, with the whispers of a thousand memories etched on its walls and forgotten with the slow sands of time."
~Excerpt from Bloodflower

Secrets of Sgådnor: First 250 | Query | Hook

Bloodflower: *coming soon*

#3 ah_522

ah_522

I like Earl Grey macaroons.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:academic journal and publications, i'm currently querying my second MS

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

Usually at the end of Jan is the best time, but keep in mind there are cycles to what's a good time. For example, summers are conference season, August is a dead month in publishing, etc, etc. 

Make sure before you query to check agents' twitter pages along w/ the agency's too! Fuse isn't accepting queries until Jan 15 (I think) and a few agents have explicitly stated they're not accepting stuff. 

#4 villain_fan

villain_fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:48 AM

I don't think there's a bad time so long as they say they're open for queries, if they're too busy to read queries at any point then they'll say they're closed.

If you can, please check out my mystery/thriller query - http://agentquerycon...e-3#entry312316

And synopsis - http://agentquerycon...mysterythriller/

#5 moonshadow

moonshadow

Don't be afraid to kill your darlings.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

I just learned many agents don't bother looking at new queries at the end of the year, because they're trying to clear their desks to get ready for next year. And since e-mail querying has increased the number of daily queries, it's an overload on them.

Guess when I was planning on querying.  :blush:

So, now I want to know when is the best time to send queries?

I've heard the holidays are bad, which I take to mean b/w Thanksgiving through to New Year's. But then, I've seen people begin querying in December and wind up with an agent before Christmas! 

I've heard summers are bad because of vacations and conferences, but then I have seen people snag an agent in the summer! 

Not to really mess with ya, but I've seen a story where someone sent a query during the 'normal' season to then receive a rejection. A week later when same person sent out a new batch of queries, he/she accidentally sent another query to the agent who just rejected a week before and received a request for a full! 

Ugh...seems like fate has to be on our sides half the time.

I was going to query early this month but decided that if any agents are like me, crabby once the holidays are over and needing time to 'get back into a less magical time of year frame of mind', that I should wait until the first week of February. Plus, I think that time frame gives agents time to get through their extra high piles of queries that came in through the holidays.

You are only as old as you feel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users