Disclaimer

Photo

15 full requests, 5 offers of representation, and now several major publishers! (YA Contemporary)

Fiction Young Adult Literary Fiction Childrens Commercial Fiction Offbeat/Quirky

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 CarlieNoel

CarlieNoel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:agented, industry insider
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

I re-drafted my query several times, and it took over a month to get it to this stage. I just signed with Claire Wilson at Rogers, Coleridge and White, and this is the version that she saw. (For anyone interested in stats, I sent this out to 32 agents all at once.) The book is actually going to be slightly different from this query, but still, I hope that this helps anyone beginning on their journey towards representation! Thank you to everyone in this lovely community who helped me along the way. 

Update on 1/19/16: I just accepted a two-book deal with a major publishing house!

Update 8/1/2016: The new title is IF BIRDS FLY BACK and will be available in Summer 2017 from HarperCollins in the US, Macmillan in the UK, Penguin Random House in Spain, etc. Here's the Goodreads, if you're interested: 

https://www.goodread...rom_search=true

This query does contain spoilers!

Dear Claire,

Sixteen-year-old Linny has spent all of high school as “camera girl,” filming her friends’ escapades while craving adventures of her own. So when Álvaro Herrera (star of Linny’s favorite film, the 1960’s cult classic Midnight in Miami) seemingly rises from the dead before her eyes, she believes it’s finally, finally her chance to break away from the sidelines. Three years ago, Álvaro vanished from a yacht in the Gulf of Mexico, and reporters and FBI agents alike are hell-bent on uncovering the secret of those missing years. Armed with a lifetime’s worth of pent-up wishes for excitement, Linny resolves to unravel the mystery first—no matter what it takes.

Enter seventeen-year-old Sebastian, an aspiring astrophysicist with melodramatic tendencies, whose mother just dropped the bomb that Álvaro is his father. Álvaro has no idea that he has a son, and because of his rapidly progressing Alzheimer’s, maybe never will. Now Sebastian has to get to know his dad before it’s too late, but (much to Sebastian’s chagrin) some girl keeps interrupting their father-son time…

Álvaro’s mystery soon leads Linny and Sebastian on an entangled obstacle course through suburban Miami. What they end up discovering—and what they keep from each other—might drive them apart forever.

WHY BIRDS FLY BACK is a 64,000-word literary young adult novel told in Linny and Sebastian’s alternating perspectives. It will perhaps appeal to readers of Rainbow Rowell and Sarah Dessen, and anyone who celebrates diverse books.

I have an MSt. in English from Oxford University and an MA in Creative Writing and Publishing from City University London, where I was mentored by Carnegie Medal nominee _______. I was recently a finalist for the Orlando Prize for Short Fiction, and I currently work as a Children’s Editorial Assistant at ______. We actually met when you came to the ______ office with the ultra-talented _______. Because your submissions are of the best that we receive (I absolutely adored _______), I hope you will consider representing me as well.

I have attached my synopsis and first fifty pages to this email. Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE and SCEPTER OF FIRE, Fantasy,Snowy Wings Publishing, May 2017
    Library mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017.

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

Congratulations!

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

Yes, indeed, congratulations. It sounds like a wonderful work, too.

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

Congrats! You've really worked your way toward success.

And now the really nerve wracking part starts. :)

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#5 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

Mazel Tov! Now that's the way it's done :)  Welcome to the "represented" side of the street!

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#6 annab3lla

annab3lla

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:KAT AND MEG CONQUER THE WORLD (HarperTeen '17)(contemporary YA)

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

Congratulations! Sounds like a great book!

#7 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

Carlie,

Check you messages.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#8 Dogday

Dogday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have had a short story, Bleeding Out, published on the internet at http://badgeoflifecanada.com as well as on my own site at http://davewickenden.wix.com/dave-wickenden

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

Enjoy the moment.  Enjoy the ride.

#9 CCquinne

CCquinne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing at the moment

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

Congrats!!!

#10 dnogy

dnogy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Congratulations!

Dagny

instagram: www.instagram.com/dagnynogy

#11 val180

val180

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

Beautifully written. I like that you included which type of audience may be interested in your work. Mentioning some authors who inspired your work helps paint a picture of your novel, and of who you are as a writer.... thank's for sharing your successful query. :)

#12 samcarnes07

samcarnes07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

Congrates! :smile:

#13 MKDuffy

MKDuffy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Worked as a reader/administrator for a number of major literary agents. Have worked as a document/book editor in NYC.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

Congratulations, and may you sell well! Keep us posted, love hearing success stories.  :smile:

#14 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

Wow, congrats!!

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#15 priyankabose

priyankabose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

Congrats, that's wonderful! Also, this sounds super interesting, and I can't wait to read it when it comes out! :)

#16 knparker

knparker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I currently have two self-published stories on Amazon, one a short, and the other a novella. They are also available as audio books on Audible.com. You can also find my short on Smashwords and every store they distribute to.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

Congrats. That seems like a very intriguing storyline. I'm curious to see the result. 

#17 graysonw

graysonw

just starting, unagented

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

Congrats. Love hearing stories like this :smile:

#18 CarlieNoel

CarlieNoel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:agented, industry insider
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thank you, all! The excitement still hasn't worn off yet! :)

#19 Jshal04

Jshal04

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:short stories and poetry

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

CarlieNoel,

This is a lovely query and sounds like an interesting story. Congrats, and I look forward to reading it. :)

"It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times..."

#20 live-artistically

live-artistically

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

Congrats! Your story sounds very interesting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Young Adult, Literary Fiction, Childrens, Commercial Fiction, Offbeat/Quirky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users