3 replies to this topic

#1 aehearn

aehearn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Literary Status:agented, industry insider, media
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Intern for Kate Brauning, Entangled TEEN. YA author represented by Christa Heschke, M&O.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:08 AM

Hey y'all!

I've been absent from the boards for a few months, but it's definitely been for good reasons! Back in August I signed with an agent I adore, Christa Heschke at M&O, and I've been hard at work on revisions since.

I debated posting my "successful query" here, because the agent I actually signed with I met at the Midwest Writer's Workshop (so conferences work too!). But my pitch basically was my query, and I had a pretty good success rate with it (13 requests on 34 queries, 2 offers) in the trenches.

Thank you to everyone at AQC who helped me along the way. This was the 2nd MS I queried, and without everyone's help on both of my queries, I never would have made it this far. Every time someone asks me where to get help on their queries, I circle them back here, because it works!

Anyway, here's the query!

Dear Agent Awesome,

(Personalization). THE SUMERLIN CURSE is a YA Southern gothic complete at 65,000 words. It’s The Raven Boys meets Penelope, steeped in the Gullah/Geechee folklore of the Georgia Sea Islands.

Sixteen-year-old George Sumerlin is a boy, no matter what he looks like. Born under a wicked family curse, he has the wings of a bat, the horns of a bull, and the tail of a lizard. While his peculiar features do not stop him from dribbling a basketball, they do keep him trapped on his family’s derelict plantation. The islanders would kill him if they knew of his existence. Mama calls it protection.

George calls it prison.

After a botched escape attempt, pictures of George surface online and catch the eye of Grace, a teenage hoodoo-doctor hell-bent on capturing the beast terrorizing her village. She sneaks through George’s window, convinced he’s it. Now he must prove his innocence in order to save his tail.

He offers Grace a deal: track down the real monster—something she calls a Boo Hag—which haunts the marshes, in exchange for freedom. His scaly butt is worth risking, at least until their search exposes a twisted secret about the Boo Hag, Mama, and the Sumerlin Curse that not only puts Grace’s soul in the monster’s sights, but proves George is more of a beast than he realized.

I am an editorial intern for Kate Brauning at Entangled Teen, the associate producer for The Badger Sports Report, and a member of SCBWI and RWA.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Ashley Hearn

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

Congratulations!!

#3 annab3lla

annab3lla

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:KAT AND MEG CONQUER THE WORLD (HarperTeen '17)(contemporary YA)

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

Congratulations! I'd definitely read this!

#4 Kindlyunspoken

Kindlyunspoken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a journalist at a lifestyle magazine. I usually write about relationships and sex––the best topics ever!

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, I total see why you got requests. Sounds great! Cheers to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users