#1 Aden

Aden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

Over the last few months, I've played around with a new story. My main dilemma is that what I've written so far goes straight to the action. I want to spend more time writing about the unique lifestyle my protagonist has, but I don't want to bore readers.

I figure it will take around 30-50 pages to write what I want and set the stage for the inciting incident. Do you think that would be too long? 

#2 waxesnostalgic

waxesnostalgic

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

I think it would be rather long, especially if this is a MG, unless you can come up with some other plot that's related to but maybe not exactly part of the main plot to cover in this period. You could have a smaller inciting incident hinting at what's to come, and then bring in a larger one later. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend that many pages on setting the stage.

If details about your character's lifestyle are important, you can describe them when they come up, like having the character remember something for a couple of sentences or a paragraph after a trigger brings up a memory. 

#3 dnogy

dnogy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

Maybe you can introduce some of the stuff you want to tell about the protagonist's lifestyle, but incorporate the rest into the story a little at a time. I'm not sure if this work, but it may help to ensure you don't bore your readers.

Dagny

instagram: www.instagram.com/dagnynogy

#4 Spaulding

Spaulding

Frumpy Old Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing but a couple of nonfiction articles ages ago.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

Bring snippets of the unique lifestyle through the story. I remember that didn't feel doable in my first draft, but I kept trying and kept adding a little here and a little there through the following drafts. I particular tried to fit them in when the reader needed to know it, or a little bit before that. (And I held my cards until the last minute for other parts of what readers wanted to know. Never even explained the strange name of the protagonist until the beginning of the climax. lol) And, if you're thinking maybe my story doesn't have that unique a lifestyle, it's about stuffed animals learning how to live away from people. Since it's set in this world, there's a lot of details on how they've managed to hide that they are sentient beings from people for over well 100 years now.  :happy:

I came up with a series of catch phrases for myself for each part of writing that I freaked out about. Fitting in the lifestyle here and there came under, "Breathe and keep writing. You'll get all info needed somewhere in the story sooner or later. This is a marathon, not a sprint." (Feel free to take it if it helps you're freak out. :smile:)

If I helped you, please critique my query -- The Comfort Ban.

Or the synopsis. (If you're in a particularly cheery mood, I'll accept a crit for both. Better yet, if you're in a foul mood, take it out on both.  :wink: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users