Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

I have a female character that beats her male boss up for making one too many advances. I'm wanting her to poor wine (or some kind of alcohol) on his crotch and light it on fire. I wondering how long would the fire would last and if the pain would be enough to bring him to back to conscientiousness.

#2 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure about how the liquid being absorbed fabric would change the outcome, but in a pan wine is much harder to set on fire than a higher proof alcohol. In a pan, alcohols with sugars (rum, bourbon) burn longer and at a lower temperature than a starch based liquor like vodka, which would be more explosive but burn out more quickly. Whether the jerk was wearing slacks or jeans would probably affect this, too. You may want to take some fabric samples our back and experiment a bit, ha! 

#3 llLeoll

llLeoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

I worked my way though college as a bartender in a restaurant. Wine will not light. In fact, most alcohol will not ignite -- even hard liquor under normal circumstances. For instance, chefs make crepe Suzette flame by pre-heating the pan and adding a strong, sugary orange Grand Marnier. But were you to try to light a shot glass of Grand Marnier, it won't flame.

You need to move to 151 proof (75% alcohol) before it burns. Like all alcohol flames (think chemistry Bunsen burner), it flares and burns out fast. But it can scorch. 

The problem you would have (for realism sake) is layers of clothing. I am pretty sure the cotton or wool of the slacks and underwear would have to burn before it singes his jewels. The alcohol would burn off too fast. . 

But that's just a guess based on my experience with burning alcohol -- at work in s restaurant and using alcohol lamps in chemistry. To sure, I wonder if Mythbusters ever tackled this... 

Hope This Helps,

llLeoll

Requested Feedback

* Query Letter: http://agentquerycon...ntasy-elements/

* First 250 Words: http://agentquerycon...ntasy-elements/

* Synopsis (2-Page):  http://agentquerycon...ts/#entry308195

Cheers/ And thanks in advance,

llLeoll

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

Why not have the guy carry a zippo liter? He doesn't even have to smoke, he just carries it so he can light women's cigarettes.

Then you use his own liter fluid and zippo to but him.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#5 marisajane

marisajane

oh hi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:comedy on pointsincase.com, photos in The New Yorker and HuffPo

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:18 AM

I officially love this topic and am now following it to find out what happens. 

TRUE NORTH ​query

BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO BUTTERFLIES 250

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

I really like RS's suggestion. I love how a little item like a Zippo lighter can color a character.

#7 llLeoll

llLeoll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:58 PM

Agree. Zippo would be a nice solution. The alcohol is a stretch. But trust me -- as a guy -- just threatening to burn my junk would have me saying "Okay. No more advances!" :-) So pouring 151 on his crotch paired with a match would be a threat to his "manhood," and could be enough.

As Sun Tzu pointed out. the best way to win a battle is to fire no shots and have the enemy retreat of their own accord... 

Requested Feedback

* Query Letter: http://agentquerycon...ntasy-elements/

* First 250 Words: http://agentquerycon...ntasy-elements/

* Synopsis (2-Page):  http://agentquerycon...ts/#entry308195

Cheers/ And thanks in advance,

llLeoll

#8 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

RS that is a brilliant idea! Already had a Zippo lighter in the scene for the reason that she can start it, drop it, take his expensive scotch, and walk off. I didn't even think about the lighter fluid. That is so perfect! I can't wait to write that. I've been thinking about that scene for weeks. Thank you RS, and Thank you everyone for chipping in.

He's always hitting on her and staring at her breast. But she'll discover something he did. When confronting him about it he'll make yet another advance. Which will earn him the butt kicking he deserves. Sure she could file sexual harassment charges but that wouldn't do any good.

Why?

Because she knows herself and what she is capable of doing. And she knows him and what he and his friends are capable of doing. She needn't fear the results of a hundred battles because the one ass kicking she'll give will be plenty.

#9 KHPatton

KHPatton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I wrote stories for a compilation of remembrances from my years at the University of Maryland, Munich Campus, Germany that is due for publication this year.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

Alcohol level is listed by proof, which is twice the percentage of alcohol present.  Proof was based on the practice of mixing liquor with gun powder and igniting it. If it burned the liquor was proofed that the alcohol was high.

Wine is about 12%  alcohol. which would be 6 proof.  Not to high and not likely to burn at all.  Flambé in a pan is possible due to the alcohol being vaporized by the heat and the vapor ignites creating caramelization in the pan. Flashy but not really necessary.

A 151 rum is 75% alcohol and will ignite pretty easily. They make them even higher, over proof rum is basically Everclear alcohol with a rummy taste.

Most Vodka is at best 40% alcohol so think if it this way, its 60% water.  Unless it is heated, it is not going to ignite because the vapor pressure of the alcohol will not be great enough for it to turn to vapor.

People watch too many movies, where liquor out of the bottle turns to napalm at the touch of a match.  Hell even accelerants like charcoal lighter is tough to light, because its vapor pressure is low at room temperature.  Heat it up and it acts like gasoline which can be ignited by a spark.

Also take into consideration the fabric of his clothing.  If you light the alcohol, you might melt his leisure suit larry outfit onto his skin, which will cause more severe burns than the alcohol itself.  Or cotton will ignite easily too.  Wool not so much, the smell of his burning wool trousers might wake him up all by itself.

#10 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

Thank you for that information kind person.

#11 partoutati

partoutati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:42 AM

I have a female character that beats her male boss up for making one too many advances. I'm wanting her to poor wine (or some kind of alcohol) on his crotch and light it on fire. I wondering how long would the fire would last and if the pain would be enough to bring him to back to conscientiousness.

The alcohol in the wine only burns when heated. Ask a chef, they'll tell you.

#12 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

Can't you just grab a pair of pants, go outside, pour some wine on them, and set it on fire? Sounds like a decent experiment to get your answer!

#13 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:26 PM

In my neighborhood that would cause a lot of problems. And there isn't a place I can do it either. Someone will see and the police will be there in a matter of minutes.

On top of all that. I would have to drive for about 45 minutes to the nearest wine store ... don't get me wrong that's a very valid point that I would love nothing more to do. It's just that present circumstances won't allow for it happen.

#14 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:27 AM

OK just a thought. Maybe I'll ask my crazy brother to do it for you tomorrow, lol.

#15 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:22 AM

I'll look forward to knowing those results! :biggrin:

I used to have a crazy friend that would do all sorts of stuff. ... Yep but then we grew and a lot of distance got put between us. Oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users