moonshadow

Don't be afraid to kill your darlings.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

I'm not here as often as I'd like, but when I was last spending time here, I didn't notice spam in threads. 

I'd like to start spending more time here, but I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally open a thread, not realizing it's spam, and wind up with a virus or something. Is that even possible?

ETA: since my posting, I noticed there are older threads from the summer where people are complaining about 'the new problem of spam' here on AQC. I also saw that someone received thousands of spam queries over a weekend, and I'm assuming from something they clicked on on this site. Please tell me otherwise.   

You are only as old as you feel. 

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, they make accounts but don't follow the link offsite. That's where the problem would be. When you see an account posting spam, go to their homepage and scroll down. There's a button on the lower right hand side that says REPORT THIS MEMBER. That shuts them down and sends a message to the Admin. It prevents them from posting anything more until the Admin can delete their account. 

Personally, I'd love some help.  

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 Spaulding

Spaulding

Frumpy Old Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing but a couple of nonfiction articles ages ago.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

I'm not here as often as I'd like, but when I was last spending time here, I didn't notice spam in threads. 

I'd like to start spending more time here, but I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally open a thread, not realizing it's spam, and wind up with a virus or something. Is that even possible?

ETA: since my posting, I noticed there are older threads from the summer where people are complaining about 'the new problem of spam' here on AQC. I also saw that someone received thousands of spam queries over a weekend, and I'm assuming from something they clicked on on this site. Please tell me otherwise.   

No, you can't get a virus from reading a post on a thread. You could get one by clicking a link on the thread, but do you really want to click a link for purple and orange underwear made from softened cactus thorns anyway? (The spammers are so dumb they don't even promote to the right market or promote anything anyone wants. lol)

If I helped you, please critique my query -- The Comfort Ban.

Or the synopsis. (If you're in a particularly cheery mood, I'll accept a crit for both. Better yet, if you're in a foul mood, take it out on both.  :wink: )

#4 moonshadow

moonshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, they make accounts but don't follow the link offsite. That's where the problem would be. When you see an account posting spam, go to their homepage and scroll down. There's a button on the lower right hand side that says REPORT THIS MEMBER. That shuts them down and sends a message to the Admin. It prevents them from posting anything more until the Admin can delete their account. 

Personally, I'd love some help.  

Okay. Good to know the posts themselves are safe if I'm fooled into just viewing them. As for reporting the spam, I've done that with 2 threads, so I'll keep doing that when I come across them.

#5 moonshadow

moonshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:59 PM

No, you can't get a virus from reading a post on a thread. You could get one by clicking a link on the thread, but do you really want to click a link for purple and orange underwear made from softened cactus thorns anyway? (The spammers are so dumb they don't even promote to the right market or promote anything anyone wants. lol)

Thanks! Darke cleared that up. And no, I don't want to click a link for purple and orange underwear made from softened cactus thorns. Too funny. *snickers*

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Yes, please report spam posts--it is so incredibly helpful as mods don't always see it otherwise. Thank you!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#7 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:57 AM

We need to perform an entire site upgrade and increase the level of spam prevention upon registration.

It's on the "to-do" list.

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

We just changed the registration question.  If you're curious, log out and click on the CREATE ACCOUNT button.

Ideally, we need something that only writers would know AND something that cannot be easily googled.  

In other words...it's a writing site, so if we list the word "greenmile" AND if you're truly a writer seeking help with your literary career, you know exactly what we're looking for... 

If you're just a spammer, you're going to scratch your head because...what the heck is a greenmile?  Then, maybe you'll google it, or maybe you won't be that smart.  or maybe an savvy AQC member will come up with something generic to most people, but completely obvious to us literary folk.

If you're a writer and you like riddles, here's your chance to help us out....

#9 moonshadow

moonshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:00 AM

We just changed the registration question.  If you're curious, log out and click on the CREATE ACCOUNT button.  I am curious, so I did.   :biggrin:    

Ideally, we need something that only writers would know AND something that cannot be easily googled.  

In other words...it's a writing site, so if we list the word "greenmile" AND if you're truly a writer seeking help with your literary career, you know exactly what we're looking for...  I am a writer, but I wouldn't know what you were seeking with that. Would you expect me to say it's movie? Wasn't it a short story first? If I saw just 'greenmile' for a required field, I would have no idea what to do there. As for what is there now, there is no question. It just says what it says. If I were brand new and hadn't seen this thread, I wouldn't know that I maybe needed to say, it's a novel (hope my stating this publicly doesn't ruin anything).

If you're just a spammer, you're going to scratch your head because...what the heck is a greenmile?  Then, maybe you'll google it, or maybe you won't be that smart.  or maybe an savvy AQC member will come up with something generic to most people, but completely obvious to us literary folk.  Ugh. It'll be hard to come up with something only writers would be familiar with because now I could suggest something like...in most cases, it's better to show than to (blank), or most times it's better to use active voice than (blank blank), but back when I was a super amateur, I wouldn't have known the answers and wouldn't have been able to successfully complete my registration.   :laugh: 

If you're a writer and you like riddles, here's your chance to help us out....

#10 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

That's interesting that the current Registration Question: "A Tale of Two Cities..." doesn't automatically make you think Dickens.

We just changed that last night, but we wonder how many people will get it or not get it.  It's pretty obvious to us, but obviously, we need to re-think the riddle.

What is interesting is that we've had three new members since we added the above riddle and no spammers.

Still accepting suggestions...

#11 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

No, we do not believe that's true at all --> someone reported receiving thousands of spam queries over a weekend.  How would that even be possible unless you openly post your email address on this site or within your query letter that you post for critique -- in which case...shame on you, not us.

#12 moonshadow

moonshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:23 PM

No, we do not believe that's true at all --> someone reported receiving thousands of spam queries over a weekend.  How would that even be possible unless you openly post your email address on this site or within your query letter that you post for critique -- in which case...shame on you, not us.

Hi,

Here's the link to the thread about the spam where someone says they got tons of spam over a weekend. It's in the 3rd reply. I'm only putting it here because I couldn't tell if you thought I was mistaken. I may be mistaken on how the person got so spammed, but I did read it here in relation to the appearance of spam on the site. 

http://agentquerycon...in-query-forum/

The previous posts to my thread did put my mind at ease, somewhat, and of course, I would never put my email address on a public forum. Maybe that's what the person did in the thread I've provided a link for. I don't know. I'm the opposite of tech savvy, so I had to ask about the site's safety.  

#13 moonshadow

moonshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

That's interesting that the current Registration Question: "A Tale of Two Cities..." doesn't automatically make you think Dickens. Aw, well, what can I say? I might have eventually given that as an answer. Maybe. 

We just changed that last night, but we wonder how many people will get it or not get it.  It's pretty obvious to us, but obviously, we need to re-think the riddle. I just checked the dashboard section and saw that AQC's rate of new people seems on par with sign-ups before the riddle, so it must be a success. I should be grateful I got in before the new age of needing to be a typical thinker. ; ) 

What is interesting is that we've had three new members since we added the above riddle and no spammers.

Still accepting suggestions...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users