Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:36 PM

I'm in the final stages of self-publishing, or at least I think I am, and I know that there's the wanted Ads for CPs, but I want a trained air of eyes on my manuscript before it goes out. Does any have advice on hiring an editor? Has anyone here used one and can they guide me to where to find my own? How do I spot the differences between legit editors and wannabe editors?

#2 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:25 published magazine articles
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi!!

May I make a suggestion? Save yourself a wad of cash that could be better spent and instead buy the following book.

Manuscript Makeover by Elizabeth Lyon. You will want to hate this book because your novel still needs work. But it tells you how to do the substantive edit that an pro editor would do for you. Then research more how to do it yourself books. You have to learn to grow to know what your novel needs. Only you can understand that. I am using it right now and  I can't believe the improvement in my novel. So try this book and don't knock it. We should all know what this book suggests if we want to really write a novel because if you are serious about it, you can in 10000000 ways benefit from the book. We owe it to our writing and ourselves to own this book and use it. Mark it. Dog ear it. Reread it. Worship it. It tells how to do the hard editing and save money.

Anyone can call themselves an editor/ publisher these days. Try a grad student to read your novel for a small sum. Find a reputable writers federation organization who would naturally know editors that have a good reputation.

#3 ken48255

ken48255

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some publishing in newsletters - experience in the fan fiction world - no books yet

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

I went Outsource.com. What I did was provide a sample to see what the candidates could do. Word of advice - treat it like a business.  I went through 3 editors.  One was a friend doing it for free so I can't complain.  The second underestimated the project.  Be brutally honest about your needs.  Good luck with your project!

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

Hi!!

May I make a suggestion? Save yourself a wad of cash that could be better spent and instead buy the following book.

Manuscript Makeover by Elizabeth Lyon. You will want to hate this book because your novel still needs work. But it tells you how to do the substantive edit that an pro editor would do for you. Then research more how to do it yourself books. You have to learn to grow to know what your novel needs. Only you can understand that. I am using it right now and  I can't believe the improvement in my novel. So try this book and don't knock it. We should all know what this book suggests if we want to really write a novel because if you are serious about it, you can in 10000000 ways benefit from the book. We owe it to our writing and ourselves to own this book and use it. Mark it. Dog ear it. Reread it. Worship it. It tells how to do the hard editing and save money.

Anyone can call themselves an editor/ publisher these days. Try a grad student to read your novel for a small sum. Find a reputable writers federation organization who would naturally know editors that have a good reputation.

I'm adding that book to my list. I'm a nerd for books about writing.

The main thing I'm looking for is typos and syntax - and funny thing, I am a grad student, haha. I printed out the manuscript and went over it, but I don't trust my own eyes on my work. I need a second pair of proofers.

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

Then you're looking for a proofreader rather than an editor. Those don't cost as much. That said, you get what you pay for.

#6 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

Thanks!

#7 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

Perhaps some distance and time from your magnum opus is good. The longer you are away from your story, then the better that once returned to it, the more errors you will find. They hide like bugs in the dark. Shine that ruthless light on them and they will have nowhere to hide. And yes, do add that book to your library that I suggested. i am grateful now for the changes I made to my story. There's a difference between a huge overall structure edit and the proofreading edit you do once the big edit is done. i am myself aching to get to the line by line edit but even with the help I had, I still see big changes that can be made. I won a competition from Girl and Cat Publishing who did a free round of editing on my novel. She is on Facebook. I really recommend her as an editor. She is wonderful. She did a major content on my novel for free. At first, I hated the comments but I was always grateful. Don't submit your ms yet. Give her a try!!! Take more time to work on it. Good luck

#8 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Oh, I agree. When I finished this last draft, I ignored it for a good month before I started looking for typos. It did help.

#9 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationCanada
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Try these resources:

1 Editminion- a wonder for catching errors

2 Book - Editor-proof your writing by Don Mcnair

Trust me, these books get you closer to getting published because they help you catch those errors and almost again totally eliminate the need for a proofreader. Be your own editor. You still need to know all that stuff.

#10 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

Hi!!

If anyone is self publishing they NEED to have another pair of eyes on their book. So I don't think any self editing book would do the job.

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#11 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

I recommend going on kboards to get recommendations. Make sure the editor tells you books they've worked on before and go to those book's amazon pages and read the reviews. Readers will point out if there are lots of mistakes.

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#12 susanhughes@sympatico.ca

susanhughes@sympatico.ca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My books have been published by many presses, including Scholastic Canada, Kids Can Press, Owl Kids, Red Deer Press, and Fitzhenry Whiteside.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:17 AM

There are several professional editing organizations which have listings where you can search for all different kinds of editors, including copyeditors (which is the type of editor you seem to need), proofreaders, and editors like me -- who do line editing, structural editing, and critiques of manuscripts. (I specialize in editing children's and YA books and am an author of over 30 children's/YA books.)

Here's the website for FEAC, which is the Freelance Editors Association of Canada: http://www.editors.ca/

Good luck! There are so many excellent copyeditors who can really help make a difference to the quality of your finished manuscript!

#13 David Nees

David Nees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:"After the Fall: Jason's Story", is a full length novel in a post-apocalyptic time in Appalachian Mountains. It is now up on Amazon.

The sequel to "Jason's Tale", After the Fall: "Catherine's Tale, Part 1" and "Part 2" are on Amazon for pre-release; to be released in May, 2017 and June, 2017

Published in the following on-line journals:
    "Dead Guns Press"
    "A Thousand and One Stories"
    "Opening Line Literary 'Zine"

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

An additional, sideways thought; print your MS and read it aloud.  I came across that advice early-on and wound up doing it three times on my novel just published.  It's amazing what you come across: awkward scene shifts, artificial sounding dialogue, bad dialogue tags, the list goes on.  I'd do that even if I hired a professional editor.

David Nees                        ATF-FINAL.jpg   

Visit my website               After the Fall: Jason's Tale

My Amazon author page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users