moonshadow

Don't be afraid to kill your darlings.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

I hate to be such a complainer, but must there be 'hover for ad' ads here? This is the first time I've seen such a thing....I did not click on the ad, I never do, but when I was too slow to move my cursor, twice in the same thread, an ad opened before I realized why.

Ads are dangerous to open. I've acquired a nasty cookie doing that ONCE on my homepage. 

Are the ads here thoroughly checked out so that no members pick up anything they weren't looking for?

Here's the link to the thread that had the hovering ad....

http://agentquerycon...ama-needs-help/

ETA: Here's a second thread with a hovering ad....

http://agentquerycon...ood-of-a-stone/

I've noticed for the first thread I've provided a link for that the 'hover for ad' has changed to one that needs to be clicked to open, so I'm going to guess that the same 'hover for ad' in the 2nd thread will change as well.

I'm not liking this. I was already concerned about the site because of the spam threads, so this is adding to my worry that this place is a site I'm not so safe at in that I can't just solely focus on learning or offering feedback where I can, but I need to really watch what I open or where my cursor rests as I read a thread. 

You are only as old as you feel. 

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

I don't see ads on those threads and have never seen a 'hover for ad' anywhere here. Maybe clear your browser cache and cookies. I'm not a computer expert, but I'm guessing you have something in your browser's cache that is creating these pop-ups and it isn't site related. (I could be wrong though.)

Occasionally this site has Google ads and I believe that is the owner's attempt at recouping the costs of licensing the software to run this site as well as paying for the site domain, etc. The owner and mods are all volunteers so the costs have to be covered somehow. As for vetting the ads, that's up to Google.

In relation to spam, there has been some lately and I know as a mod I really appreciate people reporting the post where spam is found so we can take care of it. In making it easier for members to join, it unfortunately also allows spammers to join. In the past there has been difficulty in balancing these two things--making it easy for members to join without 80 hoops to jump through and not making it easy for spammers.

Unfortunately nothing online is easy these days. We appreciate your patience as we attempt to balance what is in the best interest of our members, ease of site use, and keeping everyone safe while on this site. Thanks.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#3 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

We only run ads served by Google, so yeah...Google's pretty good about not serving up infected ads.  Google is also controlling the types of ads to serve, including hover or no hover.

If we didn't run ads, we couldn't offset the costs of maintaining the site.  Period.

If you do not feel that this site meets your needs or you do not like sites that run ads, there's plenty of writing sites from which to choose.

However, we will say that the security of this site and the well-being of its members has always been a priority, and we do not feel that your concern is founded regarding our site and its ads.

#4 moonshadow

moonshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

We only run ads served by Google, so yeah...Google's pretty good about not serving up infected ads.  Google is also controlling the types of ads to serve, including hover or no hover.

If we didn't run ads, we couldn't offset the costs of maintaining the site.  Period.

If you do not feel that this site meets your needs or you do not like sites that run ads, there's plenty of writing sites from which to choose.

However, we will say that the security of this site and the well-being of its members has always been a priority, and we do not feel that your concern is founded regarding our site and its ads.

It's good to read that security is a priority. And I don't mind a site that has ads as long as they aren't the attacky kind that will infect my valuable instrument, my computer.  

I hope no one is minding that I'm asking questions so I can feel safe here. I'm less than tech savvy and have very little internet experience outside of email, researching, and being a member of a non-ad-filled writers' forum with no spam to be seen for miles and miles, so I needed to ask. 

This site is HUGE compared to the other forum I belong to, and I would like to be comfortable here. Even though this site is so massive that I feel like an amoeba in a sea of people, I know I can benefit from the knowledgeable people here and maybe provide some helpful feedback for others along the way. 

Thanks for answering my questions/responding.

#5 moonshadow

moonshadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

I don't see ads on those threads and have never seen a 'hover for ad' anywhere here. Maybe clear your browser cache and cookies. I'm not a computer expert, but I'm guessing you have something in your browser's cache that is creating these pop-ups and it isn't site related. (I could be wrong though.)

Occasionally this site has Google ads and I believe that is the owner's attempt at recouping the costs of licensing the software to run this site as well as paying for the site domain, etc. The owner and mods are all volunteers so the costs have to be covered somehow. As for vetting the ads, that's up to Google.

In relation to spam, there has been some lately and I know as a mod I really appreciate people reporting the post where spam is found so we can take care of it. In making it easier for members to join, it unfortunately also allows spammers to join. In the past there has been difficulty in balancing these two things--making it easy for members to join without 80 hoops to jump through and not making it easy for spammers.

Unfortunately nothing online is easy these days. We appreciate your patience as we attempt to balance what is in the best interest of our members, ease of site use, and keeping everyone safe while on this site. Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I've since learned that the hover ads are something site related, so I'll be more careful where I leave my cursor.  

As for the spam, I've been reporting it when I see it. I hope I don't tag one that's already been flagged, unnecessarily drawing a moderator to an already-reported thread.

I just noticed your blog link for writing...nice...off to check it out.  : ) 

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

As for the spam, I've been reporting it when I see it. I hope I don't tag one that's already been flagged, unnecessarily drawing a moderator to an already-reported thread.

I appreciate your concern on causing more work, but don't worry--it all goes into one folder and it is easy to see any duplicates. :)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users