Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

If you have a look at some of the most popular YA books out there at the moment you'll see ones like Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunters world books, which vary from about 150k-250k words long, Sarah J Maas's Throne of Glass books, which started at about 120k and keep getting longer and longer. Even Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books, which are intended for a Middle Grade audience (but definitely appeal to adults) are about 100k words long. The Hunger Games, which is arguably the most popular teen book of the last decade is roughly 105k words.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is, unless you're happy to market your book as a novella (and there's nothing wrong with that) you really need to bulk it up a LOT. Focus less on plot and more on characters. Make sure you've explored the relationships fully and that each character has been given the chance to grow throughout the book.

As I'm aware though, YA books top out at like 80k for first time authors.   Now, once a debut novel does really then you can really do whatever. The rules are just different for an unknown author compared to one with a proven track record.

#22 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Niambi,

The next step is to get that 112K down to 90.  :) Not because you have to, but because I bet it comes out better that way.

p.s. months later ... how right you were.  Not down to 90k, but I shaved off a good 20k words most of it was fluff, confusion, and unnecessary.  I never knew how many times I used the words: "that," "which," and "like," in my writing.

#23 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

Glad it helped.

Now you can do a search for "Suddenly" and "very" both can almost always be cut. Look for echoes, too (repeating the same word within a few pages of each other).

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users