• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:17 AM

UPDATED 2/10!

Hey all,

Thought I'd share with you my vision for a cover to my novel, should it ever become more than a manuscript. Let me know what you think! Including your thoughts on the title.

Bonus points if you can name the graph. Actual money if you can name the map.

Thanks a zillion!

Attached Files

#2 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace: 60,000+ downloads to date
    Won Reddit /r/Fantasy Best of 2014 Stabby Award
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

The graphic at the bottom is good. The graphic at the top is kinda wonky, but I think if the text were larger, and it were all in uppercase, it wouldn't be too big of an issue. Speaking of the text, your name is way too small and in that color, it'll be all but invisible at thumbnail size.

I'd swap placement of the images--move the globe/shadows to the top, it's good enough to make it the centerpiece of the cover--and use a taller font. Probably League Gothic.

What kind of story is it?

#3 albatrossity

albatrossity

Captain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

Hey BP,

Thanks for the feedback! I've been advertising it as a new adult thriller, but it probably more comfortably fits into the realm of straight cli-fi. It's about Millennials that get recruited by eco-terrorists that attempt to stage a suicide bombing at a divestment protest in order to catalyze an armed revolution.

I personally like having the globe at the bottom and the graph at the top, because then the bars of the graph can bleed down into the Earth, which is the whole symbolism of the cover -- the rising graph is what's causing the bloodshed below it. But I'll definitely consider tinkering with the font. As for my own name -- hell, I almost don't even want it on the cover! I so don't care about my name being on it haha. But I totally get that publishers would want my name to be prominent, since they'd be promoting it and everything. But idk, I don't necessarily care if people connect my name to the book or not. That isn't really how it works though, and in the end it won't matter what I want lol

#4 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

I think you need to study the covers on books that are selling on Amazon. What's current and what are people buying? The font on your cover is a bit dated and It's hard for me to tell the genre by looking at the cover. Being able to identify things like what's dated can be hard for a newer author to determine, which is why getting a professional cover design is usually beneficial. It's little things like that which can really be a stumbling block right out the gate.

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#5 albatrossity

albatrossity

Captain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

Good advice! I hadn't considered any of those things lol

#6 Raserei

Raserei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Yes, watch the typography. You want to lure the eye across the page comfortably. Anything to distract the eye and the gaze leaves your cover and goes to another. Think of it like  a letter. Draw an invisible "Z" or "C" and have the content pull the eye along those lines. The top 3rd of the cover leaves a disconnect. As others have said, though, the bottom half has good promise!

Graphic Designer, layout design and typography

Current Project: in the midst of revision

#7 stormydawn

stormydawn

Waiting is the hardest part...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

I enjoy the globe and the shadow figures. That is nice. The rest of it does seem a little dated. I know it's hard to find something that looks good, and that also represents the book. I'd keep the bottom half and do some tinkering to the top half. As someone who usually goes off the look of a cover, deciding if I read the book or not, the top part threw me off. Sorry >.< Good Luck!! :)

"You fail only if you stop writing" --Ray Bradbury  :cool: 

Queries:

Tied Together

Ancient Blood

The Middle Space

The J Crew

Synopsis:

Ancient Blood

#8 albatrossity

albatrossity

Captain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Haha don't be sorry! Thank you for being honest! I should hire a professional lol :cool:

#9 albatrossity

albatrossity

Captain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

I've updated it in case anyone would like to consider the new version

#10 stormydawn

stormydawn

Waiting is the hardest part...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:20 AM

Why'd you change the globe? We all liked the globe with the shadow figures lol, it was the blood running/top half that we weren't quite seeing as done. 

What about this, put the shadowy figures back. Get rid of the lines/blood, move the words up just a little, have the blood dripping from the words. Just a suggestion, you can tell me to shut the hell up, but if I'm looking at comments, it was the half top everyone disagreed with.

"You fail only if you stop writing" --Ray Bradbury  :cool: 

Queries:

Tied Together

Ancient Blood

The Middle Space

The J Crew

Synopsis:

Ancient Blood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users