#1 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Best selling author of The Last Brigade series: Standing The Final Watch, The Ghost of Voodoo Village, Standing In The Storm and Standing At The Edge. Also author of the 2018 Darrell Award winning Sharp Steel, plus the #1 Amazon category bestseller Jurassic Jail, and The Last Attack, Unsuck Your Book and 2019's Killing Hitler's Reich.

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Just curious how many queries outstanding is too many? Or is there such a thing? My impulse is to have as many as possible, yet I do not want to break some unwritten rule, either.

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

#2 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

You want to query in stages. Think of it this way, if you have a list of 100 possible agents and send out 90 queries at once and the requests don't come who will you send your revised letter to? I personally think any letter that gets less than a 10-20% request rate is not doing its job (unless there is something wholly unmarketable about your project). So start with batches and begin with "C" listers not "A" listers until you see how your letter is working. 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#3 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Best selling author of The Last Brigade series: Standing The Final Watch, The Ghost of Voodoo Village, Standing In The Storm and Standing At The Edge. Also author of the 2018 Darrell Award winning Sharp Steel, plus the #1 Amazon category bestseller Jurassic Jail, and The Last Attack, Unsuck Your Book and 2019's Killing Hitler's Reich.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

You want to query in stages. Think of it this way, if you have a list of 100 possible agents and send out 90 queries at once and the requests don't come who will you send your revised letter to? I personally think any letter that gets less than a 10-20% request rate is not doing its job (unless there is something wholly unmarketable about your project). So start with batches and begin with "C" listers not "A" listers until you see how your letter is working. 

Great advice, thanks. I tend to approach things logically and this makes sense to me.

#4 stormydawn

stormydawn

Waiting is the hardest part...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

I was curious about this too! Wish I would of seen this site before I sent out my last query letter! It was diffidently harder writing a good query letter, then it was writing the book haha! That is good advice as well, to send it out in batches! I'll have to look into that some more and set up some lists!

"You fail only if you stop writing" --Ray Bradbury  :cool: 

#5 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

I was curious about this too! Wish I would of seen this site before I sent out my last query letter! It was diffidently harder writing a good query letter, then it was writing the book haha! That is good advice as well, to send it out in batches! I'll have to look into that some more and set up some lists!

I'm keeping up with the queries at this site: https://querytracker...clients.php?g=M

I'm sure there are plenty of others similar.

#6 stormydawn

stormydawn

Waiting is the hardest part...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

I'm keeping up with the queries at this site: https://querytracker...clients.php?g=M

I'm sure there are plenty of others similar.

Ahh, that is even better! Thank you!

"You fail only if you stop writing" --Ray Bradbury  :cool: 

#7 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

Ahh, that is even better! Thank you!

I've learned to read the comments on the agents before adding them to my list, and you can make have reminders sent at whatever time you think appropriate. I paid the $25 to upgrade for a year, but it's a very easy to use site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users