11 replies to this topic

#1 Gina Urso

Gina Urso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I had a book published about 15 years ago. Publisher closed its doors in the middle of the night and all was lost. Agent was not the most reputable. Life happened and I am ready to put it behind me and try again.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

Are there any policies or rules for police officers dating civilians.  for example, a brand new officer, 20-years-old, could he casually date a high school senior or would be it unethical or against the rules.

#2 S.H. Marr

S.H. Marr

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:One novel by an indie publisher.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

Are there any policies or rules for police officers dating civilians.  for example, a brand new officer, 20-years-old, could he casually date a high school senior or would be it unethical or against the rules.

I'm not sure why there would be. It might be a little sketchy if their partner is under 18, but that's a little gray in any situation, not just with a cop.

#3 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

I think it would be more strongly frowned upon dating within the police department than out if it. And again--that senior better be over 18.  Otherwise, he might be teased for dating someone still in high school, but not formally punished (I don't think).  

#4 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Wouldn't a 20 year old still be a cadet rather than a full officer?

#5 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

In my area you have to be 21 years of age to be an officer. The only way around this however is to be an MP in the military (17 years of age minimum to join military by the way)

And it would be frowned upon because he's a person of authority and she is still somewhat like a minor (of course this still depends on the state) My state for instance age of consent is 14 yes you read that right 14. That's because way back when at that age you were already on your own, or taking of the farm, etc. However it's considered statutory if it's a person of influence or authority i.e a teacher or a cop.

Also I know cops who are married to other cops. I'm sure standard nepotism policies are in place. Probably can't be on the same shirt or something, or one can't be the superior of another. They could be in separate divisions.

A lot of cops have told me that once you put that uniform on people treat you differently and that was back then too I could only imagine the hell they'd go through now.

I heard really amazing personal account from a woman who works for my state. Her husband flipped out one day and a bunch of his colleagues ended up having to kill him to protect her. I've also heard that breaking up with a cop is a horrible thing too ... get a lot of tickets.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

I have several friends who are police officers, including a couple who've been married for about ten years. And I know of other couples within the same force who are married to each other.

I also have known cops who've dated outside their profession, though not to my knowledge with minors. One of the cops was dating a guy who often had run-ins with authorities. She no longer serves as a cop in that town and may have left the profession altogether, I'm not sure.

Long before I came into the picture, my now wife dated a couple cops and was close friends with other cops. The breakups never caused her to receive any tickets, but she was able to get out of jury duty once or twice when she told the judge she was friends with the arresting officer.

#7 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Ultimately, I think it comes down to department -- and possibly union -- policies.

#8 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

I agree with that too. That does indeed make a lot of sense.

#9 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

If the police officer is a resource officer at the high school the student attends, that would definitely be frowned upon. Also, if he is dating a minor (under age 18) and has sex with her, he could be accused of statutory rape. Something to think about...

Jeanne

#10 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

Also--even if the student is over 18 and the officer isn't assigned to the school, or whatever else, there is a bit of a creep-factor that you may want to consider. 

#11 speedchuck

speedchuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

Also--even if the student is over 18 and the officer isn't assigned to the school, or whatever else, there is a bit of a creep-factor that you may want to consider.

Not sure why. Officers are people too.

My sister is married to a young police officer, in his early twenties. He's a bit aggressive in his speech and conduct, but he's really a nice guy. The only hard thing on their relationship (as far as I can tell) is the weird hours he has to work.

Now, if they met when he was on the job, that might be awkward or creepy, depending on the situation. But hey, that might be fun to write about.

#12 S.H. Marr

S.H. Marr

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:One novel by an indie publisher.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

Not sure why. Officers are people too.

My sister is married to a young police officer, in his early twenties. He's a bit aggressive in his speech and conduct, but he's really a nice guy. The only hard thing on their relationship (as far as I can tell) is the weird hours he has to work.

Now, if they met when he was on the job, that might be awkward or creepy, depending on the situation. But hey, that might be fun to write about.

When I was in grade school, "Officer Friendly" proposed to one of the teachers at the school when they were dating. Everyone thought this was cute, not creepy, but then, she wasn't still in high school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users