Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:07 PM

So, back in September I traded some work with a new beta reader--someone I hadn't worked with before but had met in person at some local writers' events. We were both working on second drafts of novels and needed new eyes, so we traded emails and decided to trade the first "big chunk" of the work--I sent her about 100 pages, she sent me about 35. I felt a bit bad about the discrepancy at the time but she didn't seem to mind. It took me an embarrassingly long time to crit those pages, but I sent her thorough comments in October--about a month later. She responded with gratitude, and said she'd get back to me in a week or two with comments and we would get together--but I haven't heard from her. I know she's very busy--she's active in a campaign, community programs, starting a new job, and a mother of two boys in grade school. Is there any polite way to nudge her? I'm getting to the point where I'm nearly done with revisions and it's time to go back to the beginning again--so her thoughts may become obsolete soon. What would you say/do?

#2 Michael Steven

Michael Steven

Venture far from the Beaten Path

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not Published ... yet!

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

Did you consider sending this to Dear Abby?

Just kidding! :wink:  In my opinion a beta reading should be for the entire novel, not just a section.  The critiquing, from what I understand, is high level flow and content.  The detailed nuts and bolts critiquing should already be finished.  The rest is about professionalism -- when you agree to do something for someone, you do it.  If you are "busy" and likely not to have the time then you have to say "no" from the beginning.

I gave a section to two folks for beta reading.  One I never heard from again.  The other sent me a message that said "your writing is too flowery for my tastes."  Swell.  Brow-beat with the term "flowery", but that's another rant I would put up on a blog if I had a blog.  But neither gave feedback that would be part of beta reading.  Personal tastes aside, did the writing put a picture in your head?  Did you get a feel for the characters?  Did you get a feel for the setting?  Did the flow of the story feel stilted or glossed over or over done?  In other words the sort of things that stand out when you read a finished book that convince you to read more, or to drop it.  Most importantly ... why you feel that way.

What I did was simply let them decide to do what is right.  That I never heard from one and got an off target comment from the other tells me a great deal about those people.  I let sleeping dogs lie and moved on.

Now, as a segue, if you need a beta reader for your novel, send me a private message.  Maybe we can work something out.  I will read it and I will comment.

Let there be light on this planet ... And let it shine through me
Let there be travellers who venture ... Far from the beaten path
And let one of them be me - Jefferson Starship - Champion (unused lyrics)

#3 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

This is an informal relationship, there's no set etiquette. I'd send her an email with your concerns, but also detailing that you understand her schedule. If it garners good results, good. If not, write it off as sunk costs and find a different partnership. It's in the nature of these relationships for people to disconnect and drift off without the potential being realized. 

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

Personally I'd just write her off. Besides a critical eye and the ability to offer insightful comments without trying to turn your work into their personal style, dependability is key in a critique partner. If he/she can't turn things around with some urgency (which becomes critical later when you have contractual deadlines to meet) he/she is useless. Move on (and consider the 35 pages you critqued for her as the cost of finding out if she was for you).

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#5 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:06 AM

I'm with LitGal on this one. I was in the exact same situation a few years back with both a beta and cover artist. I sent them both a nice email thanking them for their time, but considering how much time had elapsed and I hadn't heard word one from either of them, I no longer needed their services. What really irked me was that both wanted to get into the business and do freelance work.   

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, this person sounds like she self-deleted herself from your writing life.

#7 authorjanebnight

authorjanebnight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:As of Sept 15 2015 I will have 9 books I have self published using Amazon and Smashwords.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

Beta readers can be tricky beasts.

It is also possible that she didn't flake but instead just wasn't sure what to say. It is really hard when a beta isn't a good match for a manuscript. 

I would send her a very polite follow up email and just ask if she had gotten around to reading what you sent yet. Her response should give you an idea of what is happening. 

#8 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:56 AM

I've been ghosted by two beta readers too. One of whom I'm still friends with but we've both acknowledged the loss of interest on her partwas because I sent her a 706 page manuscript. My bad, srsly.

I think we just have to accept that people have busy lives and editing someone else's lengthy novel just might not be something they have time for. Sometimes it takes a lot of tries before you find a beta reader who will actually read your manuscript. Those people are jewels.

Sometimes it helps to join an established critique group where they already have a circle of writers set up that you can take part in. Sometimes you have to pay for the privilege but it's usually pretty much worth it.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

#9 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:38 AM

That kinda stinks.  My first foray into hiring Beta Readers was wonderful, and I won't shy away from suggesting that you should probably pay for a good reader in addition to getting some friends and family.  

I think I paid about $.0005/word and ended up paying about $100 for one of my larger projects.  

I stink at NOT writing like a journalist so she tore it to shreds, sent me back a critique report that was about half the size of my book, and broke down a few things she had issues with in detail.  Finished the reading and the critique in about two weeks.  The best damn $100 I've ever spent.  

#10 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:had pictures and directions on something I created and was given credit as a costume tech in The Outlaw series.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

I know I'm pretty late to the game with this one but the first thing that came to me is was she upset about your critique of her work and that is why she didn't respond?

#11 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:35 AM

I'd actually forgotten about this because it's been a minute, but two notes--it wasn't a paid beta reader, and though I don't think it's a total scam to pay readers for their advice, I'd certainly handle it differently if I had been hiring her for a service!  And secondly, I don't think it was my feedback, but I have let it go entirely---since then I found out about that time that she took a new job, was highly involved in politics, and her son was diagnosed with diabetes. I found other readers and tomorrow will be sending an R & R back to an agent. 

My hind-sight advice is to invest in betas by being good readers, but not set heart and process on it. Always have a way to make a step forward that doesn't rely on someone else. Even if your book's on submission, work on the next one!  

#12 bookandsword

bookandsword

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

That kinda stinks.  My first foray into hiring Beta Readers was wonderful, and I won't shy away from suggesting that you should probably pay for a good reader in addition to getting some friends and family.  

I think I paid about $.0005/word and ended up paying about $100 for one of my larger projects.  

I stink at NOT writing like a journalist so she tore it to shreds, sent me back a critique report that was about half the size of my book, and broke down a few things she had issues with in detail.  Finished the reading and the critique in about two weeks.  The best damn $100 I've ever spent.  

I am probably going to sound very biased, as I am a paid beta reader myself, BUT I think paying for beta reads pays off. People who offer paid services tend to take their work very seriously (at least I do). They are compelled to spend more time and energy on a project, if they are being rewarded (I guess that is just the human nature?)

There are many great free beta readers, who do it for the sheer love of reading. And there are a lot of great paid beta readers. It's just a game of finding a perfect match. 

#13 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

I've thought about doing some paid beta reading over the summers. Do you use a site?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users