Disclaimer

Photo

Sorry, but WTF was up with that "registration question"?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

I didn't know you had to answer questions to register as I am a long-term member. If I had to do that I probably wouldn't have bothered to join!!

I am not very active on the site since the chat was discontinued.

Anyway welcome, I'm sure you will have a positive experience from using the site.

Dr Anne.

#22 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:53 AM

Holy cow this thread is so funny. I registered in August (I believe)...the "question" was still there and I struggled with the same thing for a long while - and I know the books inside and out. I treated it like it was asking for a definition, and put School of Witchcraft and Wizardry...

#23 babbling_brooke

babbling_brooke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I haven't been published yet and don't have an agent, but I'm looking :). Some snippets of my work have been posted on my blog.

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

Your thread helped me as well. I tried "Where does Harry live?" and "Where is Harry Potter?" My problem with it is that it's a word, a statement at best, not a question. I thought I was on some twisted form of Jeopardy and had to answer in the form of a question, lol. Thanks for posting this and thanks to the admins for leaving it up for so long!

#24 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

I just got an anon messaging me to tell me they had trouble with this! So glad I found this thread.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#25 AllanLacoursiere

AllanLacoursiere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have sixteen novels published through Creatspace,various articles, poetry, and two novels that were published in the past by small presses

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

Wasn't a question, only a word.  And assumes everyone is familiar with Harry Potter.  Took me a bit to figure it out.

#26 MAJewell

MAJewell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As noted above, I have a paranormal romance novelette pending publication. Baby steps. My working title is Jungle Rapture. The Ebook is due out in May 2017.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Admin peeps please, please fix the Hogwarts thing!  "Hogwarts" by definition is NOT a question! Like the original poster, I struggled to sign in. Thank heavens for her post or I would never be registered. 

I   thought:

-it was a Jeopardy thing... I tried to create the question, "What's the name of Harry Potter's school?"

-then I thought Hogwarts must be the "title" of the security section.  So I tried a common security question:  "What is my father's middle name?"

Not once did I think "word association game."

Fix it please!

#27 gigigriffis

gigigriffis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Eleven travel guides (self-published for speed reasons). Featured in Forbes, New York Times, Get Lost Magazine, Huffington Post, etc.

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:21 AM

Can someone who has control over this please change it to be an actual question? I too just spent a frustratingly long time trying to figure out what the site wanted from me. "Hogwarts" is not a question and making people guess what you want from them deters real people - not spammers (spam bots can try a thousand things in that box; users are only going to try a few before giving up). 

I tried several things ("is a wizarding school" being the one that made most sense to me) before Googling and finding this thread and getting the answer. 

Please make it easier for real people to get the answer. Phrasing it as a question "What book is Hogwarts in?" shouldn't make it easier for the spammers - just the real people.

Will you take a peek at my query?

Sincerely,

Gigi Griffis

Copywriter, Content Strategist, & Travel Guide Author

Blog  /  Website  /  Facebook  /  Twitter

#28 Cengel

Cengel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

Thank you OP for starting this thread and posting the answer! I was only able to register by searching and finding it. I thought it was some sort of glitch, since "Hogwarts" definitely is not a question. 

Please take a look at my query.

#29 Sreid

Sreid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None, except for querying a sci-fi thriller and a previous version of book 1 in my fantasy series (didn't secure representation).

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

I just kept on getting the error message and looked in vain for that illusive non-existent question. When I finally caught on that "Hogwarts" was a question, Harry Potter was my first answer.

For a site catering to writers and authors who are trying to write grammatically perfect queries and synopses, it is just SOOOO wrong to write a single proper noun and call it a question, without even using any punctuation! Might I suggest the admin either:

1. not call it a question but rather word association, or

2. form a question, such as "What do you associate with Hogwarts?" or

3. at the very least put a question mark after "Hogwarts" so we know at least where to find that hidden question!!!!!

If there are present members who only found the answer because they Googled this thread, how many more are there who just gave up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users