Disclaimer

Photo

Who's doing Pitch Madness Mario Kart edition tomorrow?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about the jump I was making there. It's tough with the word limit. But it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy :) I'll work on it. Hopefully I can get something together in time. I wrote a query for it in Query Critique if you'd like to know more about the story. The first one is all sorts of wrong, but the second (post #5) feels much better.

Thanks,

C-man

Make sure you get something on the plate. I mean, make sure you get some entry in, even if you don't think it's perfect. Can win if you don't play.

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

#22 C-man

C-man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on this...

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, but unfortunately I didn't make this one. I'd definitely be interested in doing the next one... Anyone know of another similar contest coming up?

Thanks, C-man

Also, on a technical note. Does anyone know how to insert a link? I have a query in Critiques I'd like to link to.

#23 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

http://carissa-taylo...adness.html?m=1

As far as linking your query, there's instructions on how to do that in the forum for technical support.

I'll make sure and take a look at your query by today. :)

I hope I've been helpful in some way. If you have the chance, I'm currently looking for all the help I can get on my first 250 of Elementalist. Thanks so much and may the words be with you!

Look for me on twitter. :) @@AuthorVV_Mont

Beyond The North Star: First 250
Beyond The North Star: First 250 of 2nd Ch. (Different POV)

[topic='Beyond the North Star Query']http://agentquerycon...ar-revision-15/[/topic]

#24 C-man

C-man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

Thanks again! I'll take a look and try to get into one earlier :)

#25 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Solstice Publishing Nov 28, 2016

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

EEEK on twitter in the "#1LineWednesday" I found a line I had written for my story years ago.  At the time I was using a crit circle named Rose Colored Glasses Critique Circle.  

My line went like this:

She could smell his scent, whipping off his hair, sweetly reminding her of happier times. It tasted of cedar, citrus fruit and the iron of cannonballs.

Her line was incredibly similar. 

Going to take it as a coincidence, and hope everything turns out well for the two of us.

Andrea Roche

Author: Nights Arose on Amazon

www.Facebook/NightsArose.com

Twitter: @Rose121562

#26 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

EEEK on twitter in the "#1LineWednesday" I found a line I had written for my story years ago.  At the time I was using a crit circle named Rose Colored Glasses Critique Circle.  

My line went like this:

She could smell his scent, whipping off his hair, sweetly reminding her of happier times. It tasted of cedar, citrus fruit and the iron of cannonballs.

Going to take it as a coincidence, and hope everything turns out well for the two of us.

Great minds and all that.

Guys don't think in those terms. If I wrote that from a guy's standpoint, it would go like this:

He could smell her scent. It reminded him of happier times, most of which he could not remember. He loved her smell, she smelled just like a girl is supposed to smell.

#27 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

My line went like this:

Whoa, that's very specific. How similar was it?

I hope I've been helpful in some way. If you have the chance, I'm currently looking for all the help I can get on my first 250 of Elementalist. Thanks so much and may the words be with you!

[topic='Beyond the North Star Query']http://agentquerycon...ar-revision-15/[/topic]

#28 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

Her line went something like:

The wind brought his smell up to her, it was full of oranges and iron.

I can't find it now, but the entire bus heard it this morning on my way to work.

I'm mostly sad because her line was so much better than mine.  

Andrea Roche

#29 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

Oh, it's not that similar. I was just going to say I love how much more detailed yours is. Not that hers isn't good, because it is. But I love the imagery a cannonball type smell gives.

But I understand. I almost started crying when I read someone had submitted something with elemental powers and a King. If you think about it, everything has been done before, but not by you. That's what makes it special and unique.

#30 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

You are right and I'm going to chalk it up to a coincedence.  I would have never put together any elemental powers and a King.  To me its an original. 

Thanks, you made me feel better.

Andrea Roche

#31 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

I'm glad! You should be very proud of what you've accomplished. Dedicating yourself to writing a novel, creating an entirely different world. That's beautiful, my friend.

#32 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hugs !! <3 <3 thank you Vivi, that means the world to me!

Andrea Roche

#33 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

You are right and I'm going to chalk it up to a coincedence.  I would have never put together any elemental powers and a King.  To me its an original. 

Thanks, you made me feel better.

Ain't nothing new under the sun. And you do know there are only 7 plots, right? Everything else is details.

#34 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

I think this is amazing!  If only for creating a pitch and just throwing it out there.

I drafted this one on the fly, on my phone, while in line at a coffeeshop:

At the fall of society, children are the first to suffer. Azi knows this, and will end up dead if he doesn’t reach the stars.

#35 C-man

C-man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

It really is a good exercise in condensing to what's important. #Pitmad is closed now and I don't think I've ever checked my phone so much in one day! I spent a lot of time on my first, quite a bit on my second and very little on my third pitch - I like the third the best! Here's what I put out there today:

#1:

For 16-year-old Reed, dying was hard. Awaking as a vampire: Shocking. Avoiding death to find why all this happened: Unlikely #Pitmad #YA

#2:

A car accident killed 16-year-old Reed, then two doctors made him a vampire. Finding out why could cost him more than his life.#Pitmad #YA

#3:

At 16 death brings many things: Superhuman ability,blood lust,a love triangle,a new father,an ancient race hunting you,the truth#Pitmad #YA

I got a like on the last one - woohoo!!! BUT, the lady who left it runs an editing service and doesn't appear to be an agent. She left no instructions on what to do, and could find nothing on her site related to agenting, or queries.

Anyway, it was fun. I got quite a few new followers to my new twitter account. @CMannwrites

C-Man

#36 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

Twitter events are fun and they do work...although I think a few of them might not work as advertised. In the end, however, it doesn't matter, because the experience makes you better. I did p2p back in February and when it comes around again, don't miss it. That one's legit. Also, read #mswl and check out their website, that's a great one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users