#1 apac

apac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

HI - I would love opinions on this topic. I have a YA Sci-Fi novel I'm about to query. Should I query to agents who say they are looking for Sci-Fi (but make no mention of wanting YA)? Or is it better to pick agents who represent YA generally (but make no mention of a special love for Sci-Fi)? At several agencies I am looking at there is no agent who specifically calls out "YA Sci-Fi". There are several YA agents and typically one who says they rep sci-fi. 

Would love some opinions, Thanks!

Apac. 

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of a five book cozy mystery series -- the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series -- with Crooked Lane Books. Books one, two, and three out now, book four out Jan. 2020. New mystery series -- the Booklovers B&B series -- contracted with Crooked Lane for future publication.

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

Personally, I would focus on the YA aspect.  Usually agents who state they represent spec. fic. (scifi and fantasy) specifically mean ADULT spec. fic. (unless they  include YA and/or NA in their info.)

Most agents who rep. YA will rep. all varieties of YA -- the exceptions will usually say so. They will state "YA Contemporary" or will say something like "no scifi, fantasy, or paranormal."

You can also look at who they currently rep. to get an idea.

#3 apac

apac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:35 AM

Thank you for your reply LucidDreamer! That's exactly what I was thinking....wanted that second opinion!  Best, apac 

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

I had a top Sci-Fi agent reply to my submission with a phone call. She loved the book, "But this isn't sci-fi, it's YA."

She passed on the book, which broke my heart, but in the long run ... the VERY long run ... she was doing me a favor.

Take that story for what it's worth.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users