#1 Raserei

Raserei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

To get those images used by most fantasy covers featuring people in "made up" apparel, are they using a photo of a person and overlaying it with artwork for the "made up" part? (Obviously with heavy knowledge of programs like photoshop and illustrator, matching light sources, etc)

I guess the other option is that the whole thing is artwork heavily rendered.

Graphic Designer, layout design and typography

Current Project: in the midst of revision

#2 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

It's a combination of both, either, and.  

A lot of today's artists don't illustrate, and will take pictures of people or buy stock images and overlay graphics and apply blending options and the like.  

Some other artists DO illustrate and will create an entire image from scratch.  

I've gotten some commission work done where it's part illustration (for the character) and part rendered image (photos of bombed out buildings and the like).

I've always said, and will continue to say, that a book cover is almost as important as a title and back-page.   This from just being a voracious reader and new writer.  I am sure many people are drawn to books based on their cover and what's on the back-page, so design them well, and if in doubt commission an artist ... a solid artist ... to work with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users