#1 NRuhwald

NRuhwald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:55 PM

I'm in the process of researching self-publishing. Today's topic: having a manuscript edited professionally first. My current quandary is that having a developmental edit of my work done, from my research, would cost into the thousands of dollars. I want to do everything right, so to speak, but I don't want to go bankrupt on a service that would be helpful, but not critical. So what I want to know, especially from our successful indie authors, is: do you pay to have someone edit your work and how much do you typically pay?

My blog

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

My recommendation would be to find some beta readers -- people who will not blow sunshine up your bum about how great your manuscript is. You need seasoned readers and/or writers who will point out the flaws so you can fix them, possibly reshape the whole MS, and make it more likely to find an eager audience.

Perhaps you've already done that and made those kinds of changes. If so, I'm not sure you need a developmental edit, which -- you're right -- is expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users