Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

I'm trying to market my novel as much as my budget will allow. Has any one here used GR's advertising? I'm talking about the little "sponsored ads" that appear along the page. It's about $50 for one go-round which is about a month. Is it worth the money to advertise? Does anyone click on those ad or do most people ignore them like the ads on every other website?

#2 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

My bet is they're more often ignored or blocked.

From what I've seen ads like that usually work on the strength of a known name or franchise. As in someone going "oh, I know that author, they have a new book out?" or "the sequel to [title] is out?" and clicking through. 

As a debut author with a first book, I would recommend working to build your audience first. There are lots of blogs and bloggers focusing on reviews for titles in the indie market, as well as those that focus on urban fantasy. You could email them, ask for honest reviews in exchange for a free reading copy of your book. It's still money out of your pocket/sales, but I'm willing to bet a genuinely positive review available for readers looking for new indie titles in your genre will be 10x more effective than a temporary ad blitzed across a general site like GR.

Of course there's the risk of negative reviews, even after you've given away your book, but, you know. Welcome to being a published author. 

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

Thank's why I've been hesitant. I've been ignoring those ads myself. Where about on this would I find/ask about those bloggers? I've done a basic internet search, but the bloggers that I've found don't seem...legit. 

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

Nevermind! Found it. 

#5 authorjanebnight

authorjanebnight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:As of Sept 15 2015 I will have 9 books I have self published using Amazon and Smashwords.

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

My thought is that this depends somewhat on your book. If your book is first in a series and your royalty rate is pretty good I would give it a try. Especially in a genre that is niche or unsaturated.
I plan on trying some ads this summer. I will advertise book 1 of 4 book series in niche market. Royalty rate is about2 dollars per book sale. If I invested 50 dollars I would need to sell 25 books which seems a lot. But if I can get 6 people to buy whole series that also pays for ad.
If u have just one book under your name you might wait and advertise once a sale is likely to hook a reader on you and lead to more sales.

#6 David Nees

David Nees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:"After the Fall: Jason's Story", is a full length novel in a post-apocalyptic time in Appalachian Mountains. It is now up on Amazon.

The sequel to "Jason's Tale", After the Fall: "Catherine's Tale, Part 1" and "Part 2" are on Amazon for pre-release; to be released in May, 2017 and June, 2017

Published in the following on-line journals:
    "Dead Guns Press"
    "A Thousand and One Stories"
    "Opening Line Literary 'Zine"

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

I traded books and reviews with some authors in my genre.  That got each of us a review.  Sent books to some others, but haven't yet seen any reviews; maybe they're busy...

David Nees                        ATF-FINAL.jpg   

Visit my website               After the Fall: Jason's Tale

My Amazon author page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users