3 replies to this topic

#1 asmcdermott

asmcdermott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Short fiction published in anthologies and literary magazine

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

I've been mulling over an idea for a YA sci-fi about a character that travels back in time and goes undercover to prevent various tragedies. One of the incidents she has to prevent is a mass shooting at a high school. My question is, would this topic be too controversial for agents? I don't think I would focus on the actual shooting, just the build-up, but I know this is a very sensitive subject. Stephen King even banned his own book, Rage, because it allegedly inspired so many real-life shootings.

Would it be better to switch the tragedy she is trying to prevent to something else or should I just go for it and hope that I can handle it carefully enough that it doesn't trivialise a very serious problem?

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

I don't think it is taboo at all. In fact there have been fairly recent YA books published that include that scenario.

I think as long as you handle it without glorifying the violence, it would be fine. (Esp. since what you are writing about is someone trying to prevent the attack).

#3 asmcdermott

asmcdermott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Short fiction published in anthologies and literary magazine

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

Thanks! I feel better about that plot now.

#4 ah_522

ah_522

I like Earl Grey macaroons.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:academic journal and publications, i'm currently querying my second MS

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

Considering THIS IS WHERE THIS ENDS (http://www.goodreads...s-where-it-ends) was on the NYT Bestsellers list, the answer is no. (There have been more books published on this topic recently, but this is the only one that comes to mind.) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users