Disclaimer

Photo

I am a foreign author, what kind of agents do I need to look for?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chrisothemis P.K.

Chrisothemis P.K.

Chrisothemis P.K.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:I’ve already published a middle grade novel with a publisher in Greece. The book was nominated for the award of best children’s literary book in Greece.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

Hallo my friends!

I’m new here and I have seen your friendly response to each one of us, so I decided to ask you something regarding a matter I don’t know what to do about.  My name is Chrisothemis and I am a Greek author.  I’ve already published a middle grade novel with a publisher here in Greece. The book was nominated for the award of best children’s literary book in Greece. A while ago I decided I wanted to publish it abroad, so I translated it with an editor’s help and began looking for agents.
Most agents replied telling me that they usually talk with publishers and foreign rights agents for this, but in Greece translating books and selling them abroad is not something that is done regularly or often, only the opposite, foreign books are simply translated into Greek. That means that I have no help from my publisher.  So, my question for you is...what can I do?
I’m writing a YA novel at the moment which I want to publish abroad, but as good as I am in English I’ll always need a translator’s/editor’s help because I’m not a native speaker. What kind of agents do I need to look for? Agents who represent foreign authors? How does this system work?

I've attached the description of my book "Wishie & Wee" in case you are interested! 

Thank you!
Chrisothemis Kirimi
www.chrisothemis.com

#2 dogsbody

dogsbody

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

My understanding is limited, but as far as I understand it it's foreign houses which look at the sales of a book in its native country and decide whether they want to acquire, not the other way around. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do in this situation.

As for a new, YA project -- you don't need a special agent. If you write a book in English and a U.S. agent accepts it, they'll market it to U.S publishers. (For example.) You could hire a freelance editor to help smooth your manuscript, or you could hope for the best and submit it as-is, and hope it's a minor enough job for their in-house editors and copyeditors (or your agent) to fix. 

Or you could write it in your native language and hope it becomes a big enough success to get picked up by foreign houses, like Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red, Cornelia Funke's Inkheart, or Mats Strandberg's Circle. As you can see, it does happen sometimes. 

#3 Chrisothemis P.K.

Chrisothemis P.K.

Chrisothemis P.K.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:I’ve already published a middle grade novel with a publisher in Greece. The book was nominated for the award of best children’s literary book in Greece.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

Thank you very much for your help it is greatly appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users