#1 jenwren

jenwren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

It's a YA Paranormal. It reflects an important magical object in the novel that the story revolves around. Originally our working title was HARLOW after our male lead.

#2 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

"It's heading for that small moon."

"That's no moon..."  :happy:

Okay, no more Star Wars.  But I do think that the title makes sounds a lot like SF, just off the bat.  But titles are wedded to covers, so that might not be an issue, depending on the art choices.  That's the thing about debating titles alone: they are so rarely used in isolation.  You almost always see the cover, which represents the book's genre and tone in countless ways.  So, it's cool, but I'm not sure I'd guess Paranormal from the title.

#3 annallyson

annallyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing but a hopeful. I'm querying! I'll let you know how it goes ;-)

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

I like Iron Moon a lot better than Harlow. I could definitely see it being a YA Paranormal. It would catch my attention. 

If anyone has a moment and wants to be very kind, take a look at my query or synopsis! 

Synopsis: http://agentquerycon...orical-fiction/

Query: http://agentquerycon...-updated-52616/

#4 LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am mainly a self-published writer, and looking to break into hybrid publishing.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

I immediately thought of the iron mother goddess.^^

Meadow Of Gold: Uploaded Fairy Saga -- Satanic Futurism -- Novella -- Complete

Simply Pace -- Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Beyond The Dreamer's Edge -- New Mainstream/Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Hemato Tomato -- Guillotine Western/Magic Realism -- Short Story -- Complete

#5 EmmaLucy

EmmaLucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:35 PM

My first thought was werewolves...
But moving past that, I like the title, Iron Moon. It has a nice ring to it.

I am in some desperate need of synopsis help and am willing to return the favor.

My Query: http://agentquerycon...tional-fiction/  

My Synopsis: http://agentquerycon...tion-synposis/ 

First 250 words: http://agentquerycon...ion-first-250/ 

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

Aaron has a good point, both about it sounding like SF and that the title set against the cover matter enormously. The premise of this group of threads was basically would you pull this title off the shelf if you saw it. I always looked at that as a spine issue rather than a cover issue, but if the title is engaging, then the cover needs to seal the deal. And if the book is on a table with its cover facing you or on a screen with its cover apparent, then obviously both hit you at once.

In my opinion, Iron Moon would cause my hand to grab the book; Harlow, not so  much.

#7 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Death Star is what comes to mind for me.  

I'd actually consider using Harlow or Harlow and the Iron Moon.

Harlow stands out.  Iron Moon feels like Steampunk Death Star

#8 Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None. This is my first time with any and all of this so I'm learning right now.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

Iron Moon brings to mind something beautiful and solid for me. Like... a literal moon of polished iron gleaming in the sky instead of the moon we know. It's pretty and mysterious. Harlow sorta sounds like a street name to me

#9 dragoness

dragoness

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

I also prefer Iron Moon to Harlow, but IMO you maybe better think of something else, that would hint about the content and would be catchy and unique.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users